Carbon vs. Aluminum handlebars

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For me, top of the bar is a lot more comfortable when it's flat than when it's round.
I rest my palm on top of the bar, with all fingers and thumb go the same way. Thumb stay on top of the bar but other 4 fingers wrap under the bar from the front.

Round bar has a "corner" that dig into my palm when I rest weight on it. The surface area is so small and all the load is concentrate on the small part of the circle that it isn't comfortable nor feel stable vs flat broad top (especially textured top like Aerofly II).
In fact, I can't even feel comfortable on fully round grip on MTB. I need slightly flatten grip like SQlab 711 R. That's how much I can't tolerate point load into my palm.

bet1216

by bet1216

Carbon will definitely be my choice. I thought I had it figured out and was going to get one of the Zipp SL-70 bars (either Aero or Ergo)...but have now investigated further...nope they won't work...I have di2 and want to run all etube and brake hoses internally with the bar end junction. Neither bar works (Aero you can't run the etube up inside the bend and Ergo everything runs under). Back to the drawing board. The Cadex looks compelling (I like the reach and drop) but I haven't seen on in person...is it round on the top (not sure I can run all the di2 inside)? I don't want a round bar. Is it even available? The 3T Superergo looks interesting (I can't figure out what the reach is (77 or 89) to compare to others. Enve would be an option but the reach is longer. I don't like the gravel specific bars that have a huge flair or angled shifters. I like the concept of the FSA AGX but the 10 degrees forward sweep is questionable (anybody know how much the forward sweep moves the corner of the bar forward...also can the shifters still be installed straight?). What am I missing? I really want what I can't find...carbon, 70mm reach, 115 drop, sweep back (not forward), internal Di2, and not round on the top. Oh yeah lightweight, lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

bet1216 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:07 am
I really want what I can't find...carbon, 70mm reach, 115 drop, sweep back (not forward), internal Di2, and not round on the top. Oh yeah lightweight, lol.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sato ... /HD-XR-002

Light and cheap enough. Have owned the non-internal carbon 42cm for a couple years or so.
Surprised to see the updated internal carbon ones appear here.
Curve Grovel ti.

warthog101

by warthog101

jemima wrote:
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sato ... /HD-XR-002

Light and cheap enough. Have owned the non-internal carbon 42cm for a couple years or so.
Surprised to see the updated internal carbon ones appear here.
They look good. Thanks for posting.

bet1216

by bet1216

I really wanted one of the Zipp bars, however, after some discussion with Zipp customer support, I determined you can't run Di2 all internal without drilling the bar, which I didn't want to do. I ended up ordering a 3T Superergo. I will see how that goes when it gets here.