Gravel wheelset recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Omiar

by Omiar

req110 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:47 am
The beauty of zipp303s or even two sets of zipp303 (road and gravel prep), is that wheelset is good looking, spins good enough, acceptable weight, good price and resale value and resale potential is much better than any other wheelset on the market, especially a custom built.
Very good sum up.
They are also quite easy to service. Personally I don't want to too expensive wheels for gravel, as I ride them pretty hard and all the moving parts see a lot of dirt.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

Omiar wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am
req110 wrote:
The beauty of zipp303s or even two sets of zipp303 (road and gravel prep), is that wheelset is good looking, spins good enough, acceptable weight, good price and resale value and resale potential is much better than any other wheelset on the market, especially a custom built.
Very good sum up.
They are also quite easy to service. Personally I don't want to too expensive wheels for gravel, as I ride them pretty hard and all the moving parts see a lot of dirt.
question is probaly if the zipp 303s is to expensive for gravel and the newmen would be the choice for gravel.
big question is if its better for gravel with 100Gram less or the deeper rims.

emotive

by emotive

mathias720 wrote:
Omiar wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am
req110 wrote:
Very good sum up.
question is probaly if the zipp 303s is to expensive for gravel and the newmen would be the choice for gravel.
big question is if its better for gravel with 100Gram less or the deeper rims.
For my gravel bike I have a 50mm deep 32mm wide wheelset with 35mm tires and a light shallow wheelset with 42mm tyres. At gravel speeds depth doesn’t make as much difference. Unless you like to climb on dirt and descend on tarmac :-)

100g less weight only saves 0.4W on climbs.
Deep wheels save W everywhere, but the wider the tyre, the less aero benefit.

req110

by req110

I strongly suggest using foam inserts even for gravel bike. I am running tubolight evo, and hitting a root is a plush, so you can run most posh wheelsets i believe. The only problem with rims are rolling stones which are scratching rims from side.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I'm also looking at some lighter wheels for my new Kanzo Adventure. Do you think a pair of Mavic Allroad SL for 480 euros is a good buy? Or should I add some 350 euros for a pair of Wnspace Grapids?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

kgcx

by kgcx

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 am
I'm also looking at some lighter wheels for my new Kanzo Adventure. Do you think a pair of Mavic Allroad SL for 480 euros is a good buy? Or should I add some 350 euros for a pair of Wnspace Grapids?
Having owned both wheelsets, I would either spend the extra for the Grapids or look at farsports gravel wheels. Mavid Allroads are substantially heavier and I like having the wider inner width on the Grapids for gravel tires. Farsports gravel wheel is the one I would suggest the most, been pretty impressed with mine so far and they save close to 200 grams on the Grapids for roughly the same price.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kgcx wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:56 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Having owned both wheelsets, I would either spend the extra for the Grapids or look at farsports gravel wheels. Mavid Allroads are substantially heavier and I like having the wider inner width on the Grapids for gravel tires. Farsports gravel wheel is the one I would suggest the most, been pretty impressed with mine so far and they save close to 200 grams on the Grapids for roughly the same price.
Thanks. I just looked at Farsports and they are 1400 dollars, so that's quite out of my range compared to 800 for the Grapids.

I might just get a cheap set just for a wider rim for now since my bike came with 19mm wheels. And then next year I will have an opportunity to go for carbon. That way I won't have to settle for something like the Allroads.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

Almost ordered some Zipp 303's but decided to save the ~$500 and ordered HUNT 35 Carbon Gravel Disc X-Wide instead....1465g, 35 depth, 25 wide internal, less common brand (where I live)....very happy with them.

jemima

by jemima

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:42 am
kgcx wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thanks. I just looked at Farsports and they are 1400 dollars, so that's quite out of my range compared to 800 for the Grapids.

I might just get a cheap set just for a wider rim for now since my bike came with 19mm wheels. And then next year I will have an opportunity to go for carbon. That way I won't have to settle for something like the Allroads.

Check build prices using the alu Duke Lucky Star Ultra rim at WheelProject. 23.5mm Inner.
Curve Grovel ti.

k33z

by k33z

I own 303s wheels on my gravelbike, and not too happy with them. The bearings just seem to wear EXTREMELY quick. Had to replace them twice in one year.... Yes, my gravel wheelset does see the elements, but I am keen to clean my bike (in the proper way). Never had a wheelset which has such high maintenance as these.

kgcx

by kgcx

Roadbiker10 wrote:
kgcx wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I think you are on the wrong Farsports website, I bought mine off the custom build site wheelsfar.com. Check that out and the prices should be more comparable.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

jemima wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
kgcx wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Check build prices using the alu Duke Lucky Star Ultra rim at WheelProject. 23.5mm Inner.
Thanks. Those look very interesting.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kgcx wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:41 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
kgcx wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I think you are on the wrong Farsports website, I bought mine off the custom build site wheelsfar.com. Check that out and the prices should be more comparable.
Oh I see. So with Novatec hubs in 40/30 it's 1320g. That's good for 800 dollars.

Do wheels from Wheelproject and Wheelsfar come pretaped?

By the way. Is alu over carbon for gravel still good advice or is it outdated? Because I see that argument in alot of places.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Just made an order at Wheelproject. Duke Lucky Star Ultra with DT 370 hubs and Sapim CX spokes. 480 euros including shipping, which is the same price as the Mavic Allroad SL. I'm just not sure what the weight will be. As I understand, they will be lighter than the other alloy wheels I looked at.

23.5 mm is the perfect width for me, since they will be used as road wheels when the weather gets worse. Otherwise with 25 mm inner, 28 tires would be on the limit.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Wow I made a mistake. I read somewhere that brass nipples were better but now after a quick google search, I see they are three times heavier than alloy. I weigh 67kg so I should probably be fine with alloy. And I won't ride in the wet too much.

Just wrote to them. Hopefully it can be changed.

Does anyone know what the weight of the 370 IS hubs are? I can't find them anywhere.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021