Farsports gravel rims

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Farsports wheels seem to get great reviews on this forum and elsewhere.

Their gravel specific wheels look great! For example: https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-wheels ... p0061.html

However the rims do seem to be on the wide end on the spectrum (24mm - 26mm internal). I am assuming that most folk riding gravel on 700c are running 40-45mm tires. It's hard to find solid guidance on pairing rims with tires, but WTB have a chart: https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

This chart seems to confirm that 24-26mm is at the upper end of acceptable for 40-45mm tires. Interested to hear from folk with experience running ~40mm gravel tires on rims of this width. How is it working out?
Last edited by simbikotic on Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rothwem

by rothwem

I'm interested in this also.

I recently jumped on the wide rim bandwagon for my mountain bike, and its awesome. I've got 28mm internal rims with 2.3" tires, and I can run really low pressures without any slop and I'll actually smack the rims before I feel excessive slop. Since I'm slop-limited, not rim-contact-limited on my gravel bike, that tells me I've got some width to add to my 21mm internal gravel wheels.
Last edited by rothwem on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

I'm running 40-45mm tires on a set of Farsports 26mm internal width rims with no problems whatsoever. I'd rate those widths as a good fit for that size tire, not an edge case.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

tritiltheend wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm
I'm running 40-45mm tires on a set of Farsports 26mm internal width rims with no problems whatsoever. I'd rate those widths as a good fit for that size tire, not an edge case.
Awesome, thanks for this feedback. Great to hear. Are you using the asymmetric rims @26mm? Curious to hear your general experience with the wheels - if you have the time to share.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

simbikotic wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:23 pm
tritiltheend wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm
Awesome, thanks for this feedback. Great to hear. Are you using the asymmetric rims @26mm? Curious to hear your general experience with the wheels - if you have the time to share.
I'm using the asymmetric 36mm deep hooked rims. They've been very solid and stayed true and round and I haven't treated them gently. Came within a few grams of the promised weight. Got a few scratches on the rims from riding singletrack but can't blame Farsports for that!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Eh, I run 28c tire on 25mm internal width rim...
26mm is absolutely fine with modern 35-40mm tires. I say modern because some very old tires have narrow tread which will result in you either corner on the tire side wall or side knobs roll on the road on straight line. Both situation aren't ideal. But modern tires corrected for wide rim won't have this problem.

cerro

by cerro

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:15 am
Eh, I run 28c tire on 25mm internal width rim...
Me too :) 25 is awesome

Elmersen

by Elmersen

One interesting thing to notice though is that according to Schwalbe, once you get past 25 IW which is fine with 28 c tyres, the tyres need to be much wider (42 c!). So the relation does not seem to be linear: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

I don't know why. Maybe it's because wider tyres have relatively narrower tread? Farsports actually have gravel rims that are 28 mm IW. I'm not sure how they would fare with f.ex a 32-35 c tyre, which logically sounds OK given that you can use a 28 c on 25 IW.

However, 3Ts aero gravel wheels 45/40 LTD are actually 29 IW, and they are recommended for 35-40 mm tyres (both 35 WAM and 35c are used on their website, so I'm not actually sure what exactly is their lower limit): https://www.3t.bike/en/178-wheels

JasperTT

by JasperTT

I've had a set for roughly 2 years. DT 350 hubs and redished for my Super X. Hookless and 26mm internal. They've been bombproof and had a variety of tyres from 32mm Conti gp500tl (yes I know but they are run at low pressures) to 40mm Conti Terra Speeds. All ran tubeless which is a dodle to set up especially with no holes in rim bed. Get some you won't regret it.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

JasperTT wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:53 pm
I've had a set for roughly 2 years. DT 350 hubs and redished for my Super X. Hookless and 26mm internal. They've been bombproof and had a variety of tyres from 32mm Conti gp500tl (yes I know but they are run at low pressures) to 40mm Conti Terra Speeds. All ran tubeless which is a dodle to set up especially with no holes in rim bed. Get some you won't regret it.
Awesome - thanks for the feedback! I have heard rumors (elsewhere on the forum) of a discount code on Nov 11, so I guess I'll get my order in then.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

So my wheels arrived. They are the 36mm asymmetric gravel rims. Pictures below.

Weight is good as you can see. Quality feels good in general. The rims are joined in four quater sections. I made several measuremnts of the internal width. These were between 25.99mm (min) and 26.04mm (max). There are a few visible scratches in the rib bed from manufacturing - I guess.

I have not had a chance to ride them yet as I am still waiting on my frame. But I should be able to report back on the ride in Feb.
Last edited by simbikotic on Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Nice wheels! What are the advantages with asymmetric rims? Did you also consider f.ex. the 30/34 og 40/30?

Miller

by Miller

Asymmetric rims allow more even spoke tension between drive/disk side and offside.

What are the hubs on those wheels? 1300gr is a very low weight for a wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Miller wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:58 pm
Asymmetric rims allow more even spoke tension between drive/disk side and offside.

What are the hubs on those wheels? 1300gr is a very low weight for a wheelset.
Yep. That's the marketing claims at least! Who knows how important that is :noidea:. The hubs are dt swiss 240 straight-pull with the Campag N3W freehub.

Addressing the weight and also @Elmersen's question: I was tempted by the 30mm rims but they are even lighter and I preferred the security of a bit more material.