Farsports gravel rims

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

simbikotic wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm
Yep. That's the marketing claims at least! Who knows how important that is :noidea:.
Well, it's not a marketing claim, it's simple geometry. With an asymmetric rim the spoke nipple line is more centrally placed between the hub flanges than with a symmetric rim. That in turn means there's less of a disparity between left/right spoke tensions. This is unequivocally a good thing.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Miller wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:30 pm
simbikotic wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm
Yep. That's the marketing claims at least! Who knows how important that is :noidea:.
Well, it's not a marketing claim, it's simple geometry. With an asymmetric rim the spoke nipple line is more centrally placed between the hub flanges than with a symmetric rim. That in turn means there's less of a disparity between left/right spoke tensions. This is unequivocally a good thing.
While I don't disagree, the best way to get near equal spoke tension is to build with 2:1 triplet lacing, and it's grown evermore unpopular, finding a triplet hub is near impossible nowadays. My next wheelset might be the first non-triplet rear I've had in the past 10 years (excluding my singlespeed rear which had symmetric hub flanges).

Maybe the stiffness of current rims makes spokes unload less than in the past? Or that everyone is overbuilding wheels for their weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

I own one set of these rims, the asymmetric 36/32 hooked ones, and have built them 28+28 on a ztto hubset. It was a tryout for me to build a carbon wheelset, and I use it with 32mm gp5000 tyres as road wheels for my gravel bike. I like them so much I've ordered a new pair of rims to build onto an erase hubset to support my gravel tyres too (the fact the ztto hub is 6 bolt makes it very easy to shim the discs to make swaps really easy).
System weight is 95kg ish so prefer to go 28h front and rear. The asymmetric rim balances the tension a bit, it does not equalise left and right side completely.

boots2000

by boots2000

Question on Farsports wheels regarding hooked vs. hookless.
Are there some tires that will not work with the hookless rims?
Also- I know they give pressure ratings for all there rims, but should I expect that I need to run lower pressure if going hookless? Especially if I am using a road-ish type tire?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

All modern Tubeless tires will work with hookless provided they are kept at low pressures. One of the caveats about running a super wide hookless rims with gravel sized tires is bead retention suffers. Hard side loading has a tendency to pull the bead up and off the rim. That and having the sidewall/rim edge as the widest part on a bike that gets ridden offreoad leads to rims getting buggered and sidewalls more exposed to puncture.

JasperTT

by JasperTT

boots2000 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:51 pm
Question on Farsports wheels regarding hooked vs. hookless.
Are there some tires that will not work with the hookless rims?
Also- I know they give pressure ratings for all there rims, but should I expect that I need to run lower pressure if going hookless? Especially if I am using a road-ish type tire?
I am running their hookless gravel rims and have had no issues with many tyres. As had been said low pressures are the key. I even ran GP 5000tl's on them with great success.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

tritiltheend wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm
I'm running 40-45mm tires on a set of Farsports 26mm internal width rims with no problems whatsoever. I'd rate those widths as a good fit for that size tire, not an edge case.
same here, 43mm Gravelking SK on my 26mm internal Farsports rims (hookless). Works perfectly but the tires come out a little wider, around 46mm in my case. As you say, looke like a perfect fit for me, tire is nice and wide, no bulging, I can easily run 2 bars of pressure and have not had a single puncture with this wheel tire combination in more than 5000km, probably 80% of which offroad...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

boots2000

by boots2000

I finally received my FarSports wheelset. 30mm deep, 25mm internal hooked rims on DT180 SP hubs with Sapim Xray spokes. 1220 grams for pair (560 front/660 rear).

Holliday89

by Holliday89

boots2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:31 pm
I finally received my FarSports wheelset. 30mm deep, 25mm internal hooked rims on DT180 SP hubs with Sapim Xray spokes. 1220 grams for pair (560 front/660 rear).
Those sound amazing, anyway to post a pic?
I've been thinking of the same rim/wheel set up for some gravel.

nickf

by nickf

Been running my Farsports 40/30-24internal hookless rims for a few months now. Plenty of nasty gravel miles. Mounted are Conti Terra Speed 40c tires. They measure right at 40mm. Used novatec hubs, cxray spokes, 1326g.