Assos Steinbeisser, and other jackets

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Have any of you tried Assos' Steinbeisser jacket?

I'm looking for an emergency jacket for longer gravel rides and bikepacking. Ideally it could also be used as a light hiking jacket (ie spend 2 hours riding the approach to a mountain, pull the jacket out of the saddlebag, spend 3 hours hiking up to the summit and back down, 2 hour ride back to civilisation). It would need pockets and, ideally, a hood. I don't care if it looks unfashionable.

I'm hoping to replace an old emergency jacket which no longer fits well. I already have a full-featured hiking jacket (Patagonia Calcite) but it would be nice to have a lighter, sleeker option for more minimalist weekends in the hills.

Is Assos' "Schloss Tex" fabric any good? Other brands are bringing some cool Shakedry products onto the market but I haven't yet found one which ticks all my boxes. I'd consider a running jacket if necessary, although the fit won't be perfect when riding a bike. I even considered Rapha's "Commuter lightweight jacket"; apparently the waterproofing isn't perfect, but I love the pink colour, and 160g isn't bad for something with pockets and a hood.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Shell is similar to Equipe RS rain jacket and Targa. New Targa is thinner material but still doesn't pack down as well as the Shake Dry.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kervelo

by kervelo

Gore Wear recently introduced a new waterproof shell jacket, the Endure. It is made of Paclite instead of Shakedry so it is a bit more durable, but still packable.

https://www.gorewear.com/eu/fi-en/endur ... ctor=en_FI

kode54

by kode54

Rapha also makes a ShakeDry jacket with hood...different and more packable than the commuter jacket you linked to. Its not a stretch version. I bought one when they first came out with it...but it was a bit much and made quite a bit of noise on the bike (flapping).

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/mens ... PGI01XXBLK
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I was interested in shakedry jacket but people here and Gore both they said you cannot wear backpack with it. The trail version has hood but ir is for runners NOT wearing a backpack.

Black was more or less not ideal for the price.

I end up ordering a Sportful no rain for less money and it comes in orange. Claimed 130g but it is 2 layer material that is a bit more durable, and colors to choose from. (No hood)
It maybe less breathable than shakedry but I think it is more reasonable for my use.