shimano grx di2 reach

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cure

by cure

hello, does anyone have time to quickly measure the reach of the grx at hoods (starting at flat hood to almost vertical rise at shifter) ? maybe picture will be most helpful too. i currently have sram force 10 speed and want to know if i need a shorter stem or shorter handlebar reach to accomodate new GRX. thank you in advance.
i love udon.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

It's about 80mm between the two points below

I also have another bike with Rival 10 speed shifters. Hard to make a direct measurement comparison since the shapes/transitions are different. I'd say the reach of the SRAM shifters are shorter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Shimano has longest reach of all.

Then Sram.

Campy shortest.

cure

by cure

scoobydrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:39 am

I also have another bike with Rival 10 speed shifters. Hard to make a direct measurement comparison since the shapes/transitions are different. I'd say the reach of the SRAM shifters are shorter.
Oh thank you so much!
i love udon.

cure

by cure

scoobydrew wrote:
hi sorry to bother, thats quite longer than i expected. i measured my sram hoods and they were 60mm, wow 2 cm longer its too much for me. can you please see picture below and confirm this distance horizontally? really appreciate it.
https://ibb.co/pXB3pcH
i love udon.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

cure wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm
scoobydrew wrote:
hi sorry to bother, thats quite longer than i expected. i measured my sram hoods and they were 60mm, wow 2 cm longer its too much for me. can you please see picture below and confirm this distance horizontally? really appreciate it.
https://ibb.co/pXB3pcH
It's approximately 75mm for that dimension. I measured up to the flat vertical part.

cpark

by cpark

robertbb wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 am

Then Sram.

Campy shortest.
You are absolutely right.
The GRX Di2 shifters appear to be even longer than Ultegra and DA.
I decided to swap out the DA shifters on my gravel bike for the GRX Di2 shifters because I wanted a. It taller hood for bumpy/fast descending.
I felt really stretched out, so I ended up putting a handlebar with a shorter reach and a 10mm shorter stem.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

cpark wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:03 pm
robertbb wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 am

Then Sram.

Campy shortest.
You are absolutely right.
The GRX Di2 shifters appear to be even longer than Ultegra and DA.
I decided to swap out the DA shifters on my gravel bike for the GRX Di2 shifters because I wanted a. It taller hood for bumpy/fast descending.
I felt really stretched out, so I ended up putting a handlebar with a shorter reach and a 10mm shorter stem.
This has been noted in more than a few reviews of the GRX di2 shifters, where they're designed for better/more secure grip at the hoods with the longer overall body vs other shifters.

Having used them for a bit I love the change, and the hood shape looks a bit weird but conforms perfectly to the hand. The new Rival axs shifters are similarly longer vs the red/force axs, but not as extreme a difference of GRX vs da/ultegra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

^^ Funny how people fret and stress about saddle position, stem length/angle, bar reach/drop/flare and pay very little attention to the shifter reach and shape.

The groupset gets selected on a bunch of other consideration except for the one part you actually touch (noting you don't touch the crank, you touch the pedals).

Campy are ergonomically the most considered, followed by GRX Di2 (the extended reach is a little disappointing though)