Closest gravel pedal to speedplay?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

eljamoquio

by eljamoquio

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:50 pm
eljamoquio wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 am
I'm surprised there aren't more people recommending Speedplay Frogs.

I use zeros on road bikes, and frogs on CX. I might switch my road bike over to frogs.
Well they're discontinued which may be why.
Huh. Learn something new every decade. Glad I have a stockpile then.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

eljamoquio wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 am
I'm surprised there aren't more people recommending Speedplay Frogs.

I use zeros on road bikes, and frogs on CX. I might switch my road bike over to frogs.
I appreciate everyones feedback.. I took the dive and bought some frogs off of eBay (super expensive!) and looking forward to comparing them to the speedplay (road) and SYZR, Time, Shimano XTR that I have tried in the past.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:28 pm
Xpedo M-Force 8's have a LOT of float when used on their loosest setting with Shimano cleats.

Just back from using mine for the first time on my UPPER, and almost stacked in trying to unclip. Had to turn my heel out to about 45° to unclip.

Adjusted the sprint tension and now much improved for my preferred disengagement.

Really rate the pedals too (from one 40km gravel ride).
Hello. Worried about damaging xpedo ti using shimano cleats instead of the original ones... Please, waiting for your update after a longer use of them with your set up xpedo+shimano. Thanks

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They're absolutely fine with Shimano cleats, and they weigh less than the Xpedo ones ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

ryanw wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:31 pm
They're absolutely fine with Shimano cleats, and they weigh less than the Xpedo ones ;)
Thank you.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

If you can still find Syzr pedals, they have good free float, the amount of which you set with a couple of grub screws in the cleat. The cleats last a long time too - I have yet to wear out a pair after several years of use. The pedal bearings are also very easily re-greased with a needle grease gun.

Unfortunately that model pedal seems to have been a casualty of the Wahoo buyout of Speedplay (seems strange given the popularity of gravel riding these days, however...) Just as well I stocked up on spare Syzr pedals and cleats when I saw what was happening, as I have the pedals on several bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

NickJHP wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:05 am
If you can still find Syzr pedals, they have good free float, the amount of which you set with a couple of grub screws in the cleat. The cleats last a long time too - I have yet to wear out a pair after several years of use. The pedal bearings are also very easily re-greased with a needle grease gun.

Unfortunately that model pedal seems to have been a casualty of the Wahoo buyout of Speedplay (seems strange given the popularity of gravel riding these days, however...) Just as well I stocked up on spare Syzr pedals and cleats when I saw what was happening, as I have the pedals on several bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Gotta agree here. Love my Syzr pedals on the mountain bike. Excellent engagement and adjustability.

ms6073

by ms6073

nickf wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:07 am
Gotta agree here. Love my Syzr pedals on the mountain bike. Excellent engagement and adjustability.
Anyone know whether or the Syzr spindles are common to the other legacy Speedplay pedals like the Zero's? I ask because looking at some of the pedals on offer on Ebay, I note that most appear to have longer spindles (55 mm) than Shimano XTR which would be a none starter for my wife's highly tuned knees.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fourfa

by fourfa

I was intensely interested in the Syzr pedal (before I settled happily on SPDs...) but I'm still a little skeptical of putting small / threaded / moving parts in the cleat where they're most exposed. Walking on hard cobbles, hiking in pebbles, grinding dirt in there... Any direct experience with tolerance for grit and impact and off-bike use?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Anyone know whether or the Syzr spindles are common to the other legacy Speedplay pedals like the Zero's? I ask because looking at some of the pedals on offer on Ebay, I note that most appear to have longer spindles (55 mm) than Shimano XTR which would be a none starter for my wife's highly tuned knees.
No, I don't think the spindles are the same as the other Speedplay pedals. 55mm is the standard length on the Syzr pedals, and seems to put my foot the same distance from the crank as other pedals I've used, including Shimano SPDs.
fourfa wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:41 pm
I'm still a little skeptical of putting small / threaded / moving parts in the cleat where they're most exposed. Walking on hard cobbles, hiking in pebbles, grinding dirt in there... Any direct experience with tolerance for grit and impact and off-bike use?
I've had no problems with mine, but I don't utilise any of the float available in the cleat - I detest float in pedals, and one reason I like the Syzr is because I can use the grub screws in the cleat to remove all float and lock my foot in the correct position on the pedal, and I then Loctite the threads on the screws to prevent them moving. I haven't had any problems with mud, sand etc in the cleat or pedal affecting the engagement or disengagement of shoe and pedal.