What bar tape for Gravel?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Hi there, I find that on long gravel rides my palms are really battered and was thinking about upgrading to a more plush bar tape? Any recommendations what I should go with?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakanD

by HaakanD

I've had success with Lizard Skins 3.2 mm.

xixang

by xixang

I've been running the Wolf Tooth Supple bar tape and loving it. Carbon handlbar also seems to help with fatigue.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pro ... e-bar-tape

kervelo

by kervelo

Wolf tooth supple bar tape may be good, but it is also quite heavy. R2 lists the weight as 244 g.

For comparison: the cork type bar tapes are usually around 60 g, the polyurethan Zipp service course CX is 70 g.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I have good experiences with Specialized Phat and Selle Italia Foam. I have an Enve tape lying here that looks awesome but did not wrap it on yet.

Mirco

by Mirco

saldegracia wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:09 pm
Hi there, I find that on long gravel rides my palms are really battered and was thinking about upgrading to a more plush bar tape? Any recommendations what I should go with?
Specialized Roubaix, and if this not helps, reduce your tire pressure. I bet it is to high, if not, hey than it is normal and you have to get used to it.

xixang

by xixang

Agree that tire pressure would be first thing I would try. I usually go lower and lower until I feel the bike get sluggish and then stop or go back up a few psi. Also supple tires were a game changer for me, like the Rene Herse Extralight but they can be a little controversial due to cost and maintenance. Carbon handlebar helped a lot. One other easy option would be gloves. I have a set of Garneau "Gel Ultra" with HUGE pads.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Thanks for the suggestions, will look at all of those. Thought about gel gloves, too, although I never liked those very much, so the ones I have use don't have too much padding. I might get a ticker tape first and then look at gloves again if necessary. I already use carbon bars and pressure is as low as I want to go with my weight and the terrain I am usually riding in (around 28/29psi).
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

anzi

by anzi

Lizard Skins now has a 4,6mm DSP tape. If comfort is a priority, then you will have to get a thicker and heavier tape. Although 4,6mm might be a bit too thick, because this review says it was impossible to wrap on one particular bar/lever combo.
https://www.ridinggravel.com/accessorie ... ck-review/

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Yeah, 4.6mm sounds excessively thick...on my road bikes I am using 2mm tape and that's perfectly fine for the road. The bar tape on my gravel bike is still original and I think it's thinner...so I guess I'll try and go with something like the Prime Comfort Tape which is 3mm and will see how that goes...

kode54

by kode54

Maybe look at a Redshift suspension stem. Takes the edge off of rough terrain and washboard.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

saldegracia

by saldegracia

kode54 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:16 pm
Maybe look at a Redshift suspension stem. Takes the edge off of rough terrain and washboard.
definitely over the top and against all weight-weenie beliefs ;)

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I've always been happy with Cinelli Gel Cork bartape on the gravel bike. Cheap, comfy and according to the Cinelli website, only 71 grams which is good for comfy tape.

fourfa

by fourfa

My preference - whatever's lightest and double wrap. If you're planning to double wrap, it's easier to really get around the hoods too as you come at it twice from different angles.

For me on gravel the double wrap really helps - I can keep an loose grip on rough descents and still have control. Single wrap, a loose grip is so loose it's hard to stay in contact. But I'm 6'2", 200lbs, big hands. This will not work for everyone.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

fourfa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 am
My preference - whatever's lightest and double wrap. If you're planning to double wrap, it's easier to really get around the hoods too as you come at it twice from different angles.

For me on gravel the double wrap really helps - I can keep an loose grip on rough descents and still have control. Single wrap, a loose grip is so loose it's hard to stay in contact. But I'm 6'2", 200lbs, big hands. This will not work for everyone.
Sounds like an option...I guess I could just wrap a "normal" new bartape over the old one, right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com