ENVE Foundation 45 wheels for gravel?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lewis

by Lewis

As above, would these wheels be suitable for 'all road' and trails and gravel? I would be riding them on all sorts of stuff, roads, rough forest trails, rocky quarries so they would probably take a reasonable beating and need to be strong (700c size). I like the deeper dish appearance and do a lot of road riding too so the aero is 'needed' (or wanted should I say) hence looking at the 45's rather than the AG23'e etc. Would they do the trick or be too fragile?

I have some DT Swiss GRC 1400 wheels currently (long story) and i'm very happy with them in terms of their performance. However when cleaning my bike I had a problem with the front one in that it looked cracked so sent it to DT swiss (madison) for inspection. Turns out it's not a crack but just how its layed up, however rear is 100% perfect in finish with zero 'casting marks' whatsoever. DT swiss have been good and are sorting the front one but I bought another front in the meantime (last one I could find anywhere) and the finish on this one whilst perfect is like a matt grey rather than glossy black with a slightly 'glittery' finish like the rear. Quite tedious! Depor village have a pair left but worried they'll be different from each other given the experience i've had to date, although in theory they should be the same. This is why I was considering the ENVE's.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NLC86

by NLC86

The Foundation, imho, are overpriced. For lower price you can get the new Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubeless or, even lower, the Zipp 303s which have similar specs of the Enve Foundation.

kervelo

by kervelo

The Zipp lifetime warranty covers the 303 series wheels also in gravel use.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/life-happens

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

The bummer about using Enve wheels is that you have to use all the other Enve components AND buy an expensive Titanium frame with a $1000.00 paint job and matching Chris King parts, at least thats what I assume after scrolling through instagram. Oh and the bike must be professionally photographed. Having a laugh.