Minimalist Di2 1x11 setup advice

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

xixang

by xixang

First Di2 build, 1x11 setup. Thinking one single e-tube wire from the rear mech all the way to the right side shifter, one wire from other port of right shifter to bar end A junction on the right side and then a wire from bar end junction inside the handlebar to a custom battery on the left side inside the handlbar.

Idea on the battery is the older shimano seatpost battery that comes apart easier, keep the electronics (they obviously do something important) but then replace the batteries themselves with something smaller (wouldn't need as much juice with only the rear mech). The battery could be 3 sections including the two batteries and the electronics connected by wires, that way the 3 pieces could make the bend inside the left side drop. Planning on using DA ST-R9170 shifters.

Saving a few grams with smaller batteries is nice but also it just seems clean to have a single wire from rear mech all the way to shifter and no extra ports unused (except left side shifter) and the majority of the Di2 sytem all inside the dropbar. Has anyone seen a battery install inside dropbar or have any other suggestions about my setup idea? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

You can put seatpost di2 battery in the fork steerer without hacking

What you want to achive with your idea? I don't think it help you with weight or budget
'

xixang

by xixang

ooo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:29 am
You can put seatpost di2 battery in the fork steerer without hacking

What you want to achive with your idea? I don't think it help you with weight or budget
Well I did think I might save a few grams using lighter smaller batteries. More just simplicity to keep the entire system in the handlbar, even thought of combining with the Junction A if there was enough room on the right side. I saw the steerer tube idea but I didn't like the idea of coming out of the cap nor of drilling a hole in the carbon steerer, stem, or bar.

I'll probably tinker with it and report back. Default would be the "normal" post install. Thanks.