New bike releases - dumb question

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Hello WW
Wilier just released a new all rounder bike Rave when they have Jena in their catalogue. Few months ago, we saw Canyon releasing Grizl when they have Grail and same with Cannondale - SuperSix EVO cx when they have Topstone. What are the differences between the bikes & the pros-cons (Rave vs Jena, Grizl vs Grail, Super Six EVO CX vs Topstone) that is making the manufacturers take this route? Is it pure marketing gimmick? And most importantly, how are they managing these launches with global supply chain issues ? Could someone educate me on this please?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Lazy answer. General trend is true for almost all of these comparisons.

1) How many mount points for fender,bags, bottles do you want? Few-> SuperSix Evo CX, A lot -> Topstone
2) Stability vs Sporty handling ? Sporty -> CX, Stability -> Topstone
3) Bottom bracket height? Tall, to jump over stuff -> CX, low for stability -> Topstone
4) Big Tire size support? big -> CX, BIIIIG more BIIIGER -> Topstone
5) Light vs Durable? Light -> CX, Durable -> Topstone

One choice is suitable for racing, both gravel race and cx race. Another make it more durable and practicle for everyday use with some weight gain and agility loss.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Yeah, as above.

In general, I think road bikes do not make sense anymore for vast majority of riders, unless someone is racing. I predict we will be seeing more and more bikes accepting wide tyres, and they need to start diverging into different categories, as it happened with road bikes (endurance, racing, aero etc).

Re the supply chain - it does not matter really. You can present a new bike regardless if you have it in stock or not.

Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s
Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Grail will need to be repositioned, perhaps with a novelty like suspension or a more/less aggressive geometry.

cerro

by cerro

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm
Lazy answer. General trend is true for almost all of these comparisons.

1) How many mount points for fender,bags, bottles do you want? Few-> SuperSix Evo CX, A lot -> Topstone
2) Stability vs Sporty handling ? Sporty -> CX, Stability -> Topstone
3) Bottom bracket height? Tall, to jump over stuff -> CX, low for stability -> Topstone
4) Big Tire size support? big -> CX, BIIIIG more BIIIGER -> Topstone
5) Light vs Durable? Light -> CX, Durable -> Topstone

One choice is suitable for racing, both gravel race and cx race. Another make it more durable and practicle for everyday use with some weight gain and agility loss.
SuperSIX Evo SE/CX is lower and take bigger tires than Topstone Carbon :p

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Oh, right. I thought about Topstone Alloy.
The carbon version raised the bb for 650b wheels and limit down tire clearance for suspension system. I much prefer Topstone Alloy's geometry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com