Campagnolo Ekar - full outer housing?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Hi guys,

I have just received the Ekar groupset and I can see that the shifter housing included is very short. As this is a gravel bike, it needs to run full outer housing.
Is it possible to buy the maximum smoothness outer housing alone? If not, which other housing would work fine with the new Campy cables?

Thanks!

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

eurperg

by eurperg

This is what you need, but it’s currently out of stock:

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... 7701873814

I think Campagnolo should include a full length housing with the shifters…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmCube

by bmCube

I use the original campa inner cables with normal (whatever make you can find) full length housing. Shifting is perfect.....

Miller

by Miller

gorkypl wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:53 pm
I have just received the Ekar groupset and I can see that the shifter housing included is very short. As this is a gravel bike, it needs to run full outer housing.
Are you sure about this? I built up a Ridley Kanzo gravel frame in March this year with Chorus. That groupset also comes with short gear outer casings. To begin with I was thinking I would need full length gear outer but I examined the kit of small parts that came with the frame carefully and realised the cable entry block on the headtube could terminate the gear outer. You can see it in the photo below. The rear brake hose continues through but the Maximum Smoothness gear outers terminate there. The inner wires are routed inside the down tube via a cable guide to the front and rear mechs. Perhaps your frame can do the same?

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Miller wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 pm
gorkypl wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Are you sure about this? I built up a Ridley Kanzo gravel frame in March this year with Chorus. That groupset also comes with short gear outer casings. To begin with I was thinking I would need full length gear outer but I examined the kit of small parts that came with the frame carefully and realised the cable entry block on the headtube could terminate the gear outer. You can see it in the photo below. The rear brake hose continues through but the Maximum Smoothness gear outers terminate there. The inner wires are routed inside the down tube via a cable guide to the front and rear mechs. Perhaps your frame can do the same?
Actually, it is the other way round - I am still to design a frame which will be custom built, but my experience with gravel riding so far is that without full housing the shifting quality degrades too quickly. Thus I wanted full insulation from bars to the derailleur.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s