Sram compatibility question: Is GX 11 RD compatible with Apex/Rival/Force1 HRD shifters?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

Pretty much everything is in the title.
Looking to build a CX bike, I already have a BN Sram GX 1X 11 RD (long cage). And wondering if it will shift well with a set of Rival1 HRD shifters.
Looks lke Rival 1 and GX share many common parts, body, cage, maybe different clutch type mecanism. ALso the attachment to the frame and cable routing system seems different.
Anybody has this setup, can comment ? I assume a barrel adjuster in front is mandatory.
I remeber I had a similar setup with Sram 1 X 10S, and a X9 clutch RD. Shifting was fine with a Shimano cassette, but poor with either Sram or EDCO cassette.
Louis :)

ricerocket

by ricerocket

I don't have that setup but I know it won't work.

The Rival along w/ the rest of the road stuff is "exact actuation", which is 3.48mm/pull, the GX derailleur you linked X-Actuation, which is 3.1mm/pull.

Find the Exact one and you'll be fine, I don't recall which but there's a handful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Oh ! Ok. Thanks for the information :beerchug:

Louis :)

Daydreaming

by Daydreaming

Hi, first post here. I use the 10 speed, Exact Actuation GX derailleur with the 2x11 speed road shifters and it works fine. Sure, 1x will work, but you'll need the B-tension screwed in pretty far if you're using a big cassette. I run a 42t even though the spec for the derailleur is 36t max.

grover

by grover

The cable fin is what determines X-actuation or exact actuation. You can change the cable fin on your GX derailleur to convert it to work with the Rival shifters. You just have to find a cable fin. Not available as a spare part. Find a crashed/broken Force1 derailleur or ask Ratio Technology in the UK if they'll sell you one. They 3D print them for their 1x12 conversions.

Marin

by Marin

Or get the fin from Ratio Technology.

BTW, I'm running an X01 derailleur with Red Levers using the fin off a bent Rival 1 mech.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com