12-speed 2x subcompact options for Hollowgrams

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Anyone delve into this yet? Looking for options on 46/30t (or 48/32, 44/30, 42/30, etc), I'm not too picky yet.

Looks like Cannondale does sell a 46/30t Spidering, but it's only fitted to GRX equipped SuperX and Topstone bikes, the AXS versions come with AXS cranks, which makes me think they're not 12-speed compatible.

The other option would be to pickup a mountain bike spider, and get two 12-speed rings? I'm not even sure who makes 12-speed in mountain BCDs though.

Not necessarily looking for the lighest option, ANY option would be great right now (other than getting a lesser crankset :roll: ).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

satanas

by satanas

First question is what drivetrain and chain this is for - AXS, Campag, Shimano, something else??? If AXS things might be more complicated given SRAM's less-compatible chains. :-(

There is a Cannondale road spider that uses the 4 bolt 120/90 FSA rings, but these are proprietary and there's not a huge range of sizes; 46x30 & 48x32 are available though. I don't think they're officially 12 speed but doubt this will matter (if not AXS) as I had 9 speed 104x64BCD 42x27T KCNC rings on an 11 speed Shimano setup and all was good.

It's possible that a 104x64 BCD ai spider might give a decent chainline with a road BB spindle, but I haven't tried it; the standard MTB spiders do not - they offset the rings inboard compared to the road spiders. With 104x64 you can have very small rings if necessary, but these rings will not be officially 12 speed; my guess is that this probably won't matter unless AXS, but it might.

If you're planning on using an AXS chain it's somewhat less likely things will work unless you have dedicated chainrings, so caveat emptor. :evil: