New Gravel Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gravel89

by Gravel89

Hi everyone, I am looking for buying a new gravel bike all-arounder upgrading from my specialized diverge e5. The new bike should be from Carbon, with good compliance for tyres (28" and 27,5") and with a good bottom bracket ( BSA, t47 or BB86 are my favourite). Can you me good manufacture that fullfill my requirements? Do you know the German brand Rose? How good is it? In alternative I saw Giant, Specialized, Basso, cipollini and BMC.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

Gravel89 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 pm
Hi everyone, I am looking for buying a new gravel bike all-arounder upgrading from my specialized diverge e5. The new bike should be from Carbon, with good compliance for tyres (28" and 27,5") and with a good bottom bracket ( BSA, t47 or BB86 are my favourite). Can you me good manufacture that fullfill my requirements? Do you know the German brand Rose? How good is it? In alternative I saw Giant, Specialized, Basso, cipollini and BMC.

Thanks!
Probably good to get some visbility on intended usage, but I have been impressed with the Allied Echo recently. Rose's backroad gets a deccent amount of aclaim as one of the better values in the space.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Gravel89

by Gravel89

I will use the bike 50% on Tarmac and 50% gravel. Do you the brand Rose? How is the quality of the carbon frame?

Jere

by Jere

Hi
This may fill your requirements.
I,m new to gravel the Alan is doing very good.
Switching from 700c 50 psi 32mm to 650b 27 psi 50mm didn't seam to change the handling.
And I can use 52/34 cranks my big requirement.
https://alanbike.it/en/super-gravel/
JB

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I think you have to take a good look at different reviews before to make up your mind into which direction your new gravel ride should go. For example, you couldn't have two more different bikes than the BMC and the Basso that you mentioned. Those are both excellent bikes, but so different. I would not get the BMC for 50% road use. That thing is made for the offroads.

But, do you want to bikepack? Or, rather sprint your way? Do you have an MTB or a road background?

For the Rose: it is a good bike. But, it does not have much character to it. It is a croud pleaser designed for large sale numbers. Here in Munich, they are all over the place.

Gravel89

by Gravel89

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 am
I think you have to take a good look at different reviews before to make up your mind into which direction your new gravel ride should go. For example, you couldn't have two more different bikes than the BMC and the Basso that you mentioned. Those are both excellent bikes, but so different. I would not get the BMC for 50% road use. That thing is made for the offroads.

But, do you want to bikepack? Or, rather sprint your way? Do you have an MTB or a road background?

For the Rose: it is a good bike. But, it does not have much character to it. It is a croud pleaser designed for large sale numbers. Here in Munich, they are all over the place.
Hi, Thanks dir the advice, I am looking for something in the geometry as the Rose because it ist good for the off road but also capable on tarmac. What do you mean "character"? Is it like Canyon ( big volume and ok quality) ? I am looking for a solid brand for every post sale inconvenient.

warthog101

by warthog101

I had a look at that Rose. I don't mind it.
Haven't seen any of them in Australia.

I am pretty settled on a 2022 Revolt advanced.
Biggest carbon frame manufacturer in the world, good warranty support, I know and trust the local Giant dealer.
There are a few older ones where I live and they are a solid, reliable goer.
I want 2x also not interested in 1x in a gravel bike.
The new one will apparently accept up to a 53mm 700c tyre also.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

With 'character', I mean that there are not stand out features in terms of construction or geometry. Everything is in the middle of the road: geometry resembles closely a road bike with allroad flavor, quite some mounts to help with bikepacking, frame weight not to light. Rose has a smaller portfolio, hence one for all is the rule. I have to say, I love the colors of the Rose.

Canyon has now split their gravel offering into the Grizl and the I forgot what its called, the thing with the funky handlebars. Both Canyon and Rose follow the principle of the German online distribution: good frame construction and nice parts for a really good price.

On the contrary, the BMC has a huge reach and slack headangle, the Diverge has a longer top tube and future shock, the Cannondale Supersix Evo SE has this outfron geo, the Basso is short with a higher bottom bracket and slack headangle....

Gravel89

by Gravel89

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am
I had a look at that Rose. I don't mind it.
Haven't seen any of them in Australia.

I am pretty settled on a 2022 Revolt advanced.
Biggest carbon frame manufacturer in the world, good warranty support, I know and trust the local Giant dealer.
There are a few older ones where I live and they are a solid, reliable goer.
I want 2x also not interested in 1x in a gravel bike.
The new one will apparently accept up to a 53mm 700c tyre also.
The giant is really interesting but when is the release date? On giant web site I find only the 2021 models..

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

The Carbonda 696 would meet your requirements with it's big tyre clearence, BSA BB and the fact it's carbon.
It's also a fair bit cheaper than the competition if you order it directly.
Otherwise fully complete models are sold by brands such as Planet X, Pearson and Dolan.

Just wondering why the bike has to be carbon? I ride a steel gravel bike and I love it, it's my favourite bike that I own which includes lightweight carbon road bikes. Weight just dosn't matter so much off road and you gain durability and ride comfort.

warthog101

by warthog101

Gravel89 wrote: The giant is really interesting but when is the release date? On giant web site I find only the 2021 models..
Yeah dunno.
I have a thread on the Revolt here;
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
Member Wannez has posted some info on the '22 model but not sure when it will be released.
Soon I hope!
The finance minister has given the ok :D

Gravel89

by Gravel89

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am
Gravel89 wrote: The giant is really interesting but when is the release date? On giant web site I find only the 2021 models..
Yeah dunno.
I have a thread on the Revolt here;
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
Member Wannez has posted some info on the '22 model but not sure when it will be released.
Soon I hope!
The finance minister has given the ok :D
Mine also :-) the Revolt 1 will cost here in Europe 3499, is Giant maybe offering the 1x Rival?

Gravel89

by Gravel89

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:36 am
The Carbonda 696 would meet your requirements with it's big tyre clearence, BSA BB and the fact it's carbon.
Otherwise fully complete models are sold by brands such as Planet X, Pearson and Dolan.

Just wondering why the bike has to be carbon? I ride a steel gravel bike and I love it, it's my favourite bike that I own which includes lightweight carbon road bikes. Weight just dosn't matter so much off road and you gain durability and ride comfort.
I am big fan of Aluminium but the general offer for this material not really big, the only one is Specialized but for the Diverge E5 they want 2600€, with 1x GRX (not big fun of it for mix usage) and really bad wheelset!!! With the same money I can afford me a carbon one. Can you recommend me a good steel brand? I know just ritchey

warthog101

by warthog101

Gravel89 wrote:
Mine also :-) the Revolt 1 will cost here in Europe 3499, is Giant maybe offering the 1x Rival?
Sorry. Don't know much beyond that thread.
Happy to hear you won't get divorced over buying one either ;) :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Gravel89 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am
CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:36 am

I am big fan of Aluminium but the general offer for this material not really big, the only one is Specialized but for the Diverge E5 they want 2600€, with 1x GRX (not big fun of it for mix usage) and really bad wheelset!!! With the same money I can afford me a carbon one. Can you recommend me a good steel brand? I know just ritchey
I've got a Fairlight Secan, I bought the frameset. Super easy to build and such a fun bike to ride.
Off the top of my head there's also Standert, Stayer and All City.