Which versatile CX bike should I buy?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

NLC86

by NLC86

Hi,

the n+1 rule is still strong in me and I'm looking for a capable CX racing machine.
I will use it mainly in the pit during the winter and after that I might use as a gravel bike (38/40mm tires), but as I said, the main purpose will be CX racing.

Which bikes would you suggest to evaluate?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

Cannondale SuperX proven at the races, phantastic for gravel, even does road

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I love my SuperX as a gravel and non-race road bike all-rounder but for somebody looking for a 2nd bike in the CX pits the Ai back end would be more of an issue.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Cannondale fo sho. I just built up a CAADX. Old as heck but still a great bike.

NLC86

by NLC86

Thanks for the suggestions.

I heard only good things about the SuperX but I'm not convinced about all the implications of the Ai frameset (dished wheels, bottom bracket, crankset etc.). Anyhow this is the kind of bike I'm looking for, created for CX Races but enough versatile to be usead also as a gravel bike.

What about Orbea Terra or Trek Boone?
Should I consider also other models?

niklasp

by niklasp

Tire clearance in the rear is not so good on Trek Boone, I've heard. Also some frame problems with the isospeed. Buy... It's a race bike and it's pretty fast.

Specialized crux 2018-2021 is a good bike also. Vitus energie Evo, cube cross race, Canyon inflite. No special dishing and stuff on these.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've been riding & racing a first-gen Trek Crockett in gravel and CX (giving up on CX, though). Frankly, it's a great bike. I think the second gen bikes are better, since they adopted all of the industry-standard components (flat mount brakes, 12mm T/A's), and have the sliding dropouts, which are great if you decide to go single-speed, or you can shrink the wheelbase for CX and lengthen it for gravel.

In terms of tire clearance, the Crockett is a lot better than the Boone. My wife's Boone (1st gen) is limited to 35mm tires (which open up to almost 38mm). On my Crockett, I'm running 38's on LB WR36's (the tires open up to 41mm) and there are no clearance issues, at all.

Finally, the first and second gen Crocketts uses a BB86 bottom bracket (not BB90), and the third-gen bikes use a T-47 BB, but you can find BB's for any of the bikes to fit Shimano, GXP or DUB.

vinc

by vinc

FIJIGabe wrote:I've been riding & racing a first-gen Trek Crockett in gravel and CX (giving up on CX, though). Frankly, it's a great bike. I think the second gen bikes are better, since they adopted all of the industry-standard components (flat mount brakes, 12mm T/A's), and have the sliding dropouts, which are great if you decide to go single-speed, or you can shrink the wheelbase for CX and lengthen it for gravel.

In terms of tire clearance, the Crockett is a lot better than the Boone. My wife's Boone (1st gen) is limited to 35mm tires (which open up to almost 38mm). On my Crockett, I'm running 38's on LB WR36's (the tires open up to 41mm) and there are no clearance issues, at all.

Finally, the first and second gen Crocketts uses a BB86 bottom bracket (not BB90), and the third-gen bikes use a T-47 BB, but you can find BB's for any of the bikes to fit Shimano, GXP or DUB.
And absolutely stunning looks this Crocket if I may say so Image

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

NLC86

by NLC86

Crocket looks nice but I was looking at carbon frames.
The only bike matches my need is the SuperX. I will wait a couple of weeks to see how will be the new Crux.
The new Boone also look nice but there is not availability in the short term.

The only bike that is very similar to SuperX in terms of capabilities and also geometry (seat and head tube angles, tire cleareance, BB drop, chainstays etc.) is the Open UP which is not a pure CX bike like the SuperX but it's very versatile.

vinc

by vinc

NLC86 wrote:Crocket looks nice but I was looking at carbon frames.
The only bike matches my need is the SuperX. I will wait a couple of weeks to see how will be the new Crux.

The only bike that is very similar to SuperX in terms of capabilities and also geometry (seat and head tube angles, tire cleareance, BB drop, chainstays etc.) is the Open UP which is not a pure CX bike like the SuperX but it's very versatile.
A Giant TCX might also suit you?

NLC86

by NLC86

vinc wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 pm
NLC86 wrote:Crocket looks nice but I was looking at carbon frames.

A Giant TCX might also suit you?

Yep, it might work but I can't find the frameset kit version.....

rothwem

by rothwem

I've been pretty happy with my 2021 Crux. I've done mostly gravel with it, using 38mm (~40mm actual on 20mm internal rims) Specialized Tracers that fit with ~4mm on each side at the rear chainstay.

I've only done one cross race with it, and the handling was not what kept me from winning.

Since I was planning on doing mostly gravel, I was cross shopping "racy gravel" bikes like the Scott Addict, the SuperX and the Aspero. Annoyingly, I couldn't find ANY of those three to test ride due to pandemic issues...so...I can't give any feedback regarding them. In fact, the only bike I was able to ride was the Giant Revolt and I don't think I'd want to race Cross with it. The fit and handling are really laid back, though I guess I could size down. Seems silly when Giant makes the TCX too though.

NLC86

by NLC86

rothwem wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 pm
I've been pretty happy with my 2021 Crux. I've done mostly gravel with it, using 38mm (~40mm actual on 20mm internal rims) Specialized Tracers that fit with ~4mm on each side at the rear chainstay.

I've only done one cross race with it, and the handling was not what kept me from winning.

Since I was planning on doing mostly gravel, I was cross shopping "racy gravel" bikes like the Scott Addict, the SuperX and the Aspero. Annoyingly, I couldn't find ANY of those three to test ride due to pandemic issues...so...I can't give any feedback regarding them. In fact, the only bike I was able to ride was the Giant Revolt and I don't think I'd want to race Cross with it. The fit and handling are really laid back, though I guess I could size down. Seems silly when Giant makes the TCX too though.
Crux is something I was considering, but there is no stock of the S-works frameset mainly because in a few weeks will be presented the new model which, as you can read in an another thread, is more a gravel racer rather than a CX bike. At this point, I might be changing my initial idea and considering also a gravel bike which can be used also a CX Bike. I'm thinking about Open UP, Santa Cruz Stigmata and Cervelo Aspero.

Maddie

by Maddie

Stevens Super Prestige for CX, handling is super sharp, just fantastic. But I don't know tire clearance. Personally, I'm using a Orbea Terra for CX racing, it can handle gravel just as well too. But if I'm in the market again for a new CX frame, then it will be the Stevens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

NLC86 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:00 am
Crux is something I was considering, but there is no stock of the S-works frameset mainly because in a few weeks will be presented the new model which, as you can read in an another thread, is more a gravel racer rather than a CX bike.
The current S-Works Crux frameset strikes me as a colossal rip off given that it is exactly the same as the frameset that the Specialized Crux bikes are using - they're all Fact 11r with an S-Works fork. The basic Crux complete bike is £400 cheaper than the S-Works frameset, and you can sell all the parts off it, buy a carbon seatpost and decent BB and you'll have the same thing.