Roval Alpinist CL Wheels for Gravel? Am I crazy?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

So I have set of Road Carbon Roval Alpinist CL wheels.. I have no use for them as I prefer to use deeper wheels on my Road bike, but before I sell them, I though maybe Ill use them on my gravel bike. The CL's are 24 spoke front and rear, DT350 Hubs with 21mm internal width.

Basically I am wondering if these are anymore or less durable than my Easton EC90 AX carbon wheels with are 24mm internal, 24 spoke Front and Rear with Easton Hubs.

I know 21mm internal isnt the most popular as everyone is going very wide these days, but I actually like my tire more round than flat. I plan to run 38-40mm max tire width and tubeless. Yes, I know the new Roval Road wheels are not tubeless.. But after reading lots of post and articles, the internal design is the same as tubeless rims, with the appropriate bead shoulder etc.. Plus I only plan to run a max 36psi in the rear, so I doubt between the hooked rims and th elow prssure there will be any issues..

Ok, so with these lite weight Road climbing wheel work for gravel? At 50 grams lighter than my Easton Gravel wheels, I can see much in terms of durability.

TIA
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Sure, why not. I've been on CLX32 before with the same width and weight and worked flawless. Now using a set of Terra CLX which is a pure dream.

Will probably work great tubeless even without warranty. I set up a pair of Alpinist CLX tubeless with 28mm Turbo RapidAir with ease.

gSporco

by gSporco

cerro wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:59 pm
Sure, why not. I've been on CLX32 before with the same width and weight and worked flawless. Now using a set of Terra CLX which is a pure dream.

Will probably work great tubeless even without warranty. I set up a pair of Alpinist CLX tubeless with 28mm Turbo RapidAir with ease.
Yeah I am thinking the same thing.. They aren't to far off spec of my Gravel wheels from Easton, so I can't imagine why they would be fragile in anyway. They are rated for 275 pounds and are 24 spokes.

I guess ill give them a shot
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Miller

by Miller

Remember that wheels for gravel are wrapped with high volume low pressure tyres that offer significant cushioning. It could be that road wheels with high pressure tyres suffer higher shock loading.