Enve vs. Zipp wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bet1216

by bet1216

I'm looking at building a new gravel bike. I am considering the Enve G23 wheels or the new version of the Zipp 303 firecrest. Both are hookless, which seems to really limit my tire choices. I have tried to do some searching on here but I can't find much information on either wheelset. Any experience or feedback from anyone? Comparisons? The "gravel" in my area really varies...there is always tarmac between sections also. I don't have the nice firetrails, sand or dirt....crappy middle US farm gravel roads in general separated by a few miles of tarmac at a time. Many of the events I go to are the same. I'm new to tubeless tires and have always run tubes on my road bike...so this whole hookless and what tires are compatible is still somewhat a mystery. Advice on any of this?

Thanks!

Josku

by Josku

I don't have an answer to this question, but instead will give third opinion, Roval Terra CLX with Specialized Pathfinder tubeless tires. This is a super combo for gravel and tarmac! I have used this combo in my 3T Racemax now for about 7000km.
"Roval Terra CLX Wheelset Review | Cyclingnews" https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/rov ... et-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I have two sets of G23, both for gravel. One is 80/20 pavement/gravel and the other is set up for 70/30 gravel/pavement.
No matter what, I will end up with at least 30% gravel riding out from my house. Unless I drive somewhere to hit gravel specific. But from the sounds of it...you probably need just a gravel tire like the G-One allround with a bit of knobbies. If you have more technical and larger gravel rocks...go bigger on knobbies. firetrails, sand and dirt you should be good with the allround.

As far as wheels go...on gravel, less of a specific issue on manufacturer, but if you can swing the G23, they're nice wheels.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bet1216

by bet1216

Never considered Roval wheels (seems sacrilege on a Cannondale lol). I need to look into those.

Curious on why something like the rim depth of the Zipp 303 is so popular in CX racing but in more gravel specific application something like the G23 is more common.