Is cross the best use of my time?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

I've dabbled in cyclocross over the years, I quite enjoy it and I'm hoping to possible do some this winter. But here's the rub - I'm definitely a time crunched cyclist and in my neck of the woods one hour on the cross bike equates to another 45-60 minutes cleaning and washing bike and kit.

So I always wonder is this really the best use of my training time? Not looking for anybody to answer the question for me but I would just be interested to hear the opinions and strategiesof others. Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Singular

by Singular

I think you answer your own question - for training, I'd rather do the full time on a winter rig (w mudguards and all) than spending half of the time faffing around with filthy bike and gear.

If you are a cross racer, there is no way around that you get dirty when doing the required racing and training under race-like conditions (and it is good fun too!) but I'd rather get some more time in. Perhaps a set of QR mudguards would give more ride time and less cleaning (of both bike and rider).

...ah, and there's that indoor cycling thing too, but... ;)

Maddie

by Maddie

CX is a great alternative in winter for me. I don't like indoor rides but need to be active. Speed is reduced and the forrest protects a bit from wind, rain, snow...
My cleaning routine takes 10-15 min max for the bike. If I'm extremely dirty myself, then I use the garden hose not only on the bike but also on myself. Admittedly not fun when already cold
Training wise, CX can be extremely efficient with all that stop and go. Usually after 60 minutes I'm shredded. Good front light mandatory.

liam7020

by liam7020

Yeah, if I could keep the cleaning down to that length of time I would be happy enough. I'm usually verging on OCD about keeping my bikes clean but I guess with cross bikes a compromise between functional and spotless is the answer!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

Maddie

by Maddie

For sure! I'm a bit less strict on my cx bike compared to my road bikes
But still, I immediately rinse down the bike with garden hose nozzle that has a reservoir for cleaning agent. Wipe down with a rag. Blow dry chain and lube it with rock n roll gold. That should do it for my workhorse

liam7020

by liam7020

Good idea on the hose attachment with reservoir. I had a Mobi portable washer for a few years but the battery packed in so it kinda defeated the portability! I don't intend to do any cx racing this winter so I'll not need the washer and training rides will start and finish at home so the garden hose will hopefully suffice. If I can minimize the cleaning time then the cross bike will a more viable proposition time-wise.

robin3mj

by robin3mj

I quit racing when our first kid came along. Suddenly a half day or more (incl travel) to race one or two 40 minute races was not a good a use of my time as riding a couple hours from my front door.

liam7020

by liam7020

This for sure, my daugther's a bit older now but I know exactly what you're saying. It's only a 40 minute cross race but it's the bits either side of the 40 minutes that all add up.

grover

by grover

Do you have any of those coin operated self serve car washes near your house? I've taken to stopping at mine and putting two dollars in. Give the bike a quick scrub with the foaming brush and spray it off (and shoes/legs). It's only a five minute stop at the end of the ride. It definitely doesn't get it spotless but as long as it gets the bulk off and clears the gunk out of brakes and drivetrain I'm happy. Then ride home on a clean bike, wipe the chain off and re-lube. Pop some newspaper or a towel in shoes and throw kit in the wash. Means there's no pool of water/mud or garden damage at home too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

A decent cleaning station helps.
Plus a bit of preparation.

Keep all the bits and pieces you need to clean a bike handy. A sensibly positioned hook on the wall. And a handy hose.

Bit of wax on the main frame tubes, back of bottom bracket, around the fork crown and rims (obviously only if your using discs!)
Should be able to keep a bike clean with less than 10 minutes work and spotless within 20.

I do a fair bit of autumn and winter training on a CX bike