OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.76kg

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quickdraw

by Quickdraw

Zdog wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:23 pm
Nice Build and tire stash! I have an Open Up that I just installed the Barlow Pass EL's on and I really like them. I would like to try the Snoqualmie Pass and Hurricane Ridge tires but the spec on the Open frame says 40mm max @ 700c so I did not want to buy them without knowing they would fit first. Do the Snoqualmie Pass tires work fine with enough clearance? Have you tried the Hurricane Ridge?
I am building an Open Up now. The shop that I bought it at had a demo bike (an Open Up in size medium). I took the rear wheel from my S-Works Diverge and put it in their Open Up to test clearance. The wheel is an Enve G23 with Hurricane Ridge (endurance casing) tires. The tire measures about 43-43.5 mm wide at about 34 PSI and the knobs appear to be about 2.8 mm in depth.

The wheel would spin, but it was really tight. The limiting factor was the clearance to the seat tube. I am surprised that Open built in so much clearance for the chainstays, but that the seat tube clearance is so low. Maybe they intend for riders to go to a 650b once the tire is bigger than 40 mm.

I think that I read somewhere on the Open website that they recommend at least 6 mm of clearance. I did not measure, but it was likely less than that. The guys at the shop agreed that it was a "no go." The tires are awesome, even in the endurace casing, but I probably would not go bigger than a RH Steilacoom in my Open UP. I am actually worried about that size too. It gets expensive to buy a tire only to find out it is too big. I recently did that with a Rene Herse Stampede Pass on my Moots road bike. It would spin, but the tire was too close to the drive side seat stay of all things.

I assume that you are running the Barlow Pass EL's tubeless? I have heard they are hard to get to seal. Was that your experience? I have a set of Barlow Passes in the standard casing and they have held air well, with no seeping sealant. I think that I used the standard Orange Seal.

Would love to hear if there is enough clearance on the Snoqualmie Pass. If you look at the actual widths they list on the RH site, the Snoqualmie Pass and the Hurricane Ridge appear to have the same size casing (despite them listing the Hurricane Ridge as 42 and the Snoqualmie as 44). So maybe without knobs, there is enough clearance to the seat tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Send the frame to Hambini and see what he says about the BB tolerances.

6.8kg is very light for a gravel bike. Good spec!
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Zdog

by Zdog

I have had success with the barlow pass el's so far. They were easy to seal and have held air good for me. I used the panaracer sealant.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Sorry, haven't answered anyone's questions, shall try to do so later today.

Full spec is up on my Instagram now.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ryanw wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:01 pm
Just finished my first true gravel build after selling my CX bike last year and missing the fun had on it.

Spec is pretty much maxed out, DA R9170 Di2 / XTR, MCFK everything, Quarq, Berk saddle, Rene Herse 44c tyres.

Looking forward to getting out on it and seeing how shes goes... Trip to Wales booked in 4 weeks time :thumbup:

Do you have any experience with the MCFK stuff off road? I pretty much won't ride anything offroad that has a rider weight limit even though I'm only 64.5kg. Too sketchy to chance.

cerro

by cerro

OnTheRivet: My Darimo seatpost, stem and bar works great for offroad with my 63kg :) Berk saddle of course as ryanw :)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Few more snaps trying out various tyres and my new Enve G27 650B wheels:

42mm Ultradynamico Cava Race:

42mm Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge Extra Light:

38mm Rene Herse Barlow Pass Extra Light:

48mm Juniper Ridge Extralight 650B:

Basscadet

by Basscadet

That's simply one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

Angui

by Angui

Hi ryanw, how do you like the Alpitude bottle cages?
I have a couple and they don't hold the bottles very firmly - actually had a bottle (Elitle Fly) shoot-out over bumps during a group ride. Looks very nice but for me they haven't been as secure as a standard cage (e.g. s-works carbon rib cage)

sholiday

by sholiday

Quickdraw wrote:
Zdog wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:23 pm
Nice Build and tire stash! I have an Open Up that I just installed the Barlow Pass EL's on and I really like them. I would like to try the Snoqualmie Pass and Hurricane Ridge tires but the spec on the Open frame says 40mm max @ 700c so I did not want to buy them without knowing they would fit first. Do the Snoqualmie Pass tires work fine with enough clearance? Have you tried the Hurricane Ridge?
I am building an Open Up now. The shop that I bought it at had a demo bike (an Open Up in size medium). I took the rear wheel from my S-Works Diverge and put it in their Open Up to test clearance. The wheel is an Enve G23 with Hurricane Ridge (endurance casing) tires. The tire measures about 43-43.5 mm wide at about 34 PSI and the knobs appear to be about 2.8 mm in depth.

The wheel would spin, but it was really tight. The limiting factor was the clearance to the seat tube. I am surprised that Open built in so much clearance for the chainstays, but that the seat tube clearance is so low. Maybe they intend for riders to go to a 650b once the tire is bigger than 40 mm.

I think that I read somewhere on the Open website that they recommend at least 6 mm of clearance. I did not measure, but it was likely less than that. The guys at the shop agreed that it was a "no go." The tires are awesome, even in the endurace casing, but I probably would not go bigger than a RH Steilacoom in my Open UP. I am actually worried about that size too. It gets expensive to buy a tire only to find out it is too big. I recently did that with a Rene Herse Stampede Pass on my Moots road bike. It would spin, but the tire was too close to the drive side seat stay of all things.

I assume that you are running the Barlow Pass EL's tubeless? I have heard they are hard to get to seal. Was that your experience? I have a set of Barlow Passes in the standard casing and they have held air well, with no seeping sealant. I think that I used the standard Orange Seal.

Would love to hear if there is enough clearance on the Snoqualmie Pass. If you look at the actual widths they list on the RH site, the Snoqualmie Pass and the Hurricane Ridge appear to have the same size casing (despite them listing the Hurricane Ridge as 42 and the Snoqualmie as 44). So maybe without knobs, there is enough clearance to the seat tube.
I have been using the Snoqualmie Pass tires On my OPEN for the pas couple of years with no rubbing. I know they say 6mm clearance but I measure ~5mm and have not had any issues at all either chainstays or seatstay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Lovely bike, I have an UP which weighs just under 7kg. need to invest in some 650b wheels

Basscadet

by Basscadet

I'd love to know how you guys get your UP to be so light. Just weighed mine today and I'm at 8.8kg (in L). GRX 2x Di2, Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 wheels, 32mm Panaracer GK, fabric seat, Zipp Service Course stem and Zipp (?) handlebars, Shimano PD-EH500 pedals. Are the most egregious weight offenders the wheels or is there somewhere else I should start? I just love this bike so much, I bought it back when I didn't understand much about bikes and totally lucked-out.

Mirco

by Mirco

Basscadet wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 am
I'd love to know how you guys get your UP to be so light. Just weighed mine today and I'm at 8.8kg (in L). GRX 2x Di2, Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 wheels, 32mm Panaracer GK, fabric seat, Zipp Service Course stem and Zipp (?) handlebars, Shimano PD-EH500 pedals. Are the most egregious weight offenders the wheels or is there somewhere else I should start? I just love this bike so much, I bought it back when I didn't understand much about bikes and totally lucked-out.

Easy to say.

1. You have an UP and no U.P.P.E.R
2. just take a look on your pedals, compare them with XTR padels.
3. take no. 2 and ask yourself about the weight of your components.

Short, you have to invest money to get it below 8kg.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just back from Wales.

Climbed a 800m mountain on the first day, mixed in with some serious technical riding (on the 650s), and then did a 130km / 2,500m road-ish ride the following day on the 700s, with gradients well over 20% in places.

Bike was out this world. Never have I been so impressed with any bike. It was doing things on the first day that a full 160mm Enduro bike should have struggled with. Lost for words. The only thing I would have liked is a dropper post and maybe some easier gearing since I'm 88kg and out of shape!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

borist

by borist

Amazing bike and the ride looked super fun.

As others have mentioned... curious to your thoughts about clearance. Was it a concern that the UP/UPPER is only rated to 40mm for 700cc? Or is this where you're happy to just switch to the 650B rims?

I'm looking for a new gravel frame and this is top my list, but the clearance ratings are holding me back so looking for some real world experience.

Thanks in advance