OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.76kg

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

markdjr

by markdjr

yinzerniner wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:29 pm
hansotto089 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 am
Hi UP / UPPER community

Just recently got my Upper, wanted to attach my GRX group set with 46/30 chainrings to it - which resulted in a scratch because of the sharp edges of the 30 chainring...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrxo2qccw7isx ... 2%2056.jpg

What do you think - just a paint scratch and still save to ride?

Thanks!
That might be the lightest scratch I've ever seen in that area for the notoriously chain-droppy UP and UPPER. Pretty much every owner of said framesets have had to deal with this issue, so much so that a certain well-respected carbon repair outfit has the picture of the damage on an OPEN as their header image on their site.

You're definitely safe to ride as it looks like it only got through the finish and clear and not down through to the raw carbon. A chain catcher is a must for any FD setups on the OPENs. I learned this the hard way.

Still a brilliant riding frame tho.
After dropping my chain a couple times and chewing up the BB a bit, I decided to use Sugru to build out the area around the BB and create a little shelf. So far, I've had a chain drop and the Sugru shelf caught the chain, preventing it from sucking in between chainring and BB and doing more damage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com