OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.76kg

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

" It was doing things on the first day that a full 160mm Enduro bike should have struggled with"

I know it's a really nice bike and all but.... come oooooooon lmao

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:06 pm
ryanw wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:01 pm
Just finished my first true gravel build after selling my CX bike last year and missing the fun had on it.

Spec is pretty much maxed out, DA R9170 Di2 / XTR, MCFK everything, Quarq, Berk saddle, Rene Herse 44c tyres.

Looking forward to getting out on it and seeing how shes goes... Trip to Wales booked in 4 weeks time :thumbup:

Do you have any experience with the MCFK stuff off road? I pretty much won't ride anything offroad that has a rider weight limit even though I'm only 64.5kg. Too sketchy to chance.
I have ridden MCFK rims (35) with Sapim CX-Ray + extralite hubs (yes the finicky ones which have been surprisingly bombproof) for three seasons now off road. The rims are fantastic and have been abused yet remain true and strong. Terrain is Rocky Mountain gravel, so not smooth at all.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

spartacus wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 pm
" It was doing things on the first day that a full 160mm Enduro bike should have struggled with"

I know it's a really nice bike and all but.... come oooooooon lmao
I built myself an Ibis Ripmo XX1 two years ago, have been riding XC/AM/Enduro for many years.

Of course a 160mm bike would have made much easier work of the terrain, but the fact is, the Open took it all in its stride.

Yes my lines were different, but from the clattering it had, I would have assumed I'd come home with a bike in pieces, but I didn't, it was faultless, even in this weight weenie guise.

The precision of the Open and the skill needed to work it, made for a different, but agruablty more enjoyable experience, since you didn't have the travel to get you out of trouble, and it required a fair bit of panache and planning.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

borist wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:47 pm
Amazing bike and the ride looked super fun.

As others have mentioned... curious to your thoughts about clearance. Was it a concern that the UP/UPPER is only rated to 40mm for 700cc? Or is this where you're happy to just switch to the 650B rims?

I'm looking for a new gravel frame and this is top my list, but the clearance ratings are holding me back so looking for some real world experience.

Thanks in advance
I'd run up to 42c mud tyres on 700s, and 44c slicks. Obviously the rim ID shall dictate the tyre profile, so I wouldn't do so on rims under 23mm ID.

The reason I also went for the 650s was that I'm currently running 48s but shall be putting 55s on next week. It's all about volume and grip with the 650s. The bike is more nimble and fun with these on and it can really get through some aggressive terrain.

Packs

by Packs

I agree and still don't understand why so many gravel riders run 700s and under 45. 48+ in 650 is so much better - you can't beat volume.

@ryanw will the 55s fit? (is that the umtanums?)

@borist go for a WI.DE - especially if the majority of your rides are off-road. The back end is another level.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Agree.

I'm running the MCFKs as my training / commuter wheel with fat 40+ slicks on.

I've ordered a pair of Umtanums with EL casing to try on the 650s, can't see why they won't fit since there's a load of clearance with the 48s (50mm) on.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd love to know how you find the Umtanums.
Currently using 2.2in Conti Race Kings and they've been brilliant over the summer but not sure how well they'll hold up when it starts getting muddy.

"I agree and still don't understand why so many gravel riders run 700s and under 45. 48+ in 650 is so much better - you can't beat volume."

Agree 100%, unless I was racing on some predicatbly nice fireroads and gravel, give me the 650b wheels and 50+mm tyres every day of the week.

fa63

by fa63

Conti Race Kings are pretty horrible when it comes to grip in wet conditions (I ride them on my hardtail that I race XC on). But pretty hard to beat when it comes to rolling resistance (or lack thereof) in the dry!

borist

by borist

Packs - I'm super tempted into getting an Open, but the issue with the WIDE is there is no 2x support.... I have a lot of steep hills around here and would like to potentially use it for some touring/bikepacking so would prefer a 2x.

I'm 90% sold on getting an UP/UPPER but holding back due to the tyre clearance.... Ryan, your notes are very helpful though and this bike is a great salesperson :P

Packs

by Packs

Just tried them and the Umtanums fit in an UPPER. There's about 3 or 4mm each side and that's on 30mm ID rims (measured 55mm). The knobs aren't wider than the sidewalls either.

Fair enough Borist. I find a 36x11-42 is usually enough or I grab the Wolf Tooth 45 expander if needed.

expatscot

by expatscot

My UPPER frameset is at the store - arriving later this week.
I'm looking to build it up as a lightweight build, rather than the exotic-weight build here, but you have given great inspiration!

My expected build (ie parts swap from existing bikes) will be:
- eTap 11 34.50 and 11.28 Red
- Juin tech cable/hydr brakes
- Hunt aero disc 50 wheelset with Schalbe G one TLE 30mm
- Uno F7 stem and 3T CX carbon bars
- USE carbon seatpost and an Aliexpress bare carbon saddle
- xtr pedals

The next waves will be roughly as follows:
- wave 1 finish kit - superlight bars/stem
- wave 2 THM chainset
- wave 3 second wheelset - probably another decent Hunt aero disc set, and relegate current ones to 700*45 duties.
Look 695 aerolight eTap 11
Boardman TTE eTap 11
Brompton S2 LX ti custom
Trek 5500 1994 Sram Red 10
Boardman CXR9.8 eTap 11
Open UPPER - DA 9270
Ridley x-fire Sram Red 10

and lots of non- WW others.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Fitted my Rene Herse Umtanum Ridge Extralight (650b x 55mm).

On my 27mm ID Enve G27s, the come out at 54.2mm which I'm happy with, but shall most likely give a little over the following few weeks of riding.

First ride was at 27/25psi but felt a little too harsh and front end too crashy, so dropped to 26/24psi and think that's the sweetspot for my 88kg weight.

I would say they definitely feel a little more sluggish compared to the 48mm Hurricane Ridge's, but the added "suspension" on the rough stuff really does help and fills you with confidence hitting bad terrain.

Have got them caked in mud, and no rubbing or problems, so would fully recommend to anyone wanting the maximum volume tyre on an OPEN U.P./P.E.R.

Most importantly, they look sick :thumbup:

Dat

by Dat

Is that a crack in your eyelet?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Dat wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:23 pm
Yes. The wheel has now exploded. Or it's just some dirt / dust.

Great post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dat

by Dat

ryanw wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Dat wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:23 pm
Yes. The wheel has now exploded. Or it's just some dirt / dust.

Great post.
Only checking... anyway, nice bike dude.