HOLDSWORTH MYSTIQUE

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobinski

by bobinski

HI Guys and Gals,
Any reason not to get this?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSE ... 0746122bfd

bobrayner

by bobrayner

bobinski wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:39 pm
HI Guys and Gals,
Any reason not to get this?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSE ... 0746122bfd
Looks good! It'll be made using some generic frame from China, Carbonda or something like that, but it does the job.

PlanetX used to work like the DFS sale. I got a Tomac-branded bike from them which was nominally £4000 reduced to £2000. It was a pretty good spec for £2000, it would have been a terrible deal at £4000 but I doubt anybody actually paid that, instead customers felt smug that they got a bike for "half price". I'm not sure whether PlanetX use that tactic any more - keep an eye out for sales and discounts...

There have been big delays with some bikes, so if PlanetX can definitely commit to delivering in 20-25 days, that's good news.

What do you need from your bike? What kind of riding?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I'll start by saying I don't like buying full builds. Part of the fun is putting my complements together.

I don't know where the frame comes from but it would help if you could identify that.

The big problem with planetx is they hang garbage finishing kit on their full builds. The bars, stem, seatpost, wheels etc
I feel it would be possible to build a better/ lighter bike for the same money that would do the same job.

However, if none of that matters to you then it's a bike ready to go and there aren't many things available on the market right now.

bobinski

by bobinski

I am looking for some light off road gravel riding, possibly 2-3 day touring. One of their other gravel frames me be a better choice given the mystique is more a race bike. I do like the look of Ekar though...
I get the whole Planet X thing. Some people have had pretty poor experiences. I have been lucky with my first road bike, an SL Pro, from them so many years ago. No issues and it made me feel i was fast! I would replace the wheels and tyres pretty quick, some of the other bits over time. The price and relatively quick availability make it an enticing proposition.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'm with Steve, Planet X are alright for frames when you want an open mould frame with the added convenience of a UK based seller. Their full build bikes have so much cheap and heavy junk on them though and you'd end up replacing half of the bike straight away.

Merlin have some Ekar groupsets in stock:

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo ... 8sQAvD_BwE

Stick it on a Carbonda 696 frame, add some reasonable wheels and finishing kit and you'd have a better bike for nearly the same cost as the Planet X one.

bobinski

by bobinski

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:10 pm
I'm with Steve, Planet X are alright for frames when you want an open mould frame with the added convenience of a UK based seller. Their full build bikes have so much cheap and heavy junk on them though and you'd end up replacing half of the bike straight away.

Merlin have some Ekar groupsets in stock:

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo ... 8sQAvD_BwE

Stick it on a Carbonda 696 frame, add some reasonable wheels and finishing kit and you'd have a better bike for nearly the same cost as the Planet X one.
I would be more tempted if there wasnt so much confusion around import duty/vat costs on imported frames. Decision, decisons...cheers all!

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Carbonda 696 Is a planetx free ranger. Check eBay and you'll probably see them listed direct from planetx for around £600.
That's how I got mine and it was perfect with full warranty.
Chuck on an elita one seatpost, uno stem and whatever bars you like for a nice basis for a build around £750.

bobinski

by bobinski

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 pm
Carbonda 696 Is a planetx free ranger. Check eBay and you'll probably see them listed direct from planetx for around £600.
Chuck on an elita one seatpost, uno stem and whatever bars you like for a nice basis for a build around £750.
Good shout. Will keep an eye on their ebay store.
No Smalls in stock at the momet and at 175 cm with a 74cm bb to saddle leg i reckon the medium may be a stretch.

froze

by froze

Holdsworth is no longer Holdsworth of old, the name rights were bought out by Planet X, and Planet X has all their frames built in China, other parts come from other countries, they are then assembled in Yorkshire England.

Point

by Point

bobinski wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:24 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 pm
Good shout. Will keep an eye on their ebay store.
No Smalls in stock at the momet and at 175 cm with a 74cm bb to saddle leg i reckon the medium may be a stretch.
Definitely.

You're the same height as me (I have a 31" inseam) and I ride a 52cm Carbonda 696. Feels great. Minor toe overlap but not really an issue. Can't fit frame bags and bottles easily though. Feels comfortable and I feel far more in control than I ever have on a 54cm frame.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com