‘18 Crux cable / hose routing for 2x setup

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RNAV

by RNAV

I've got a 2018 Specialized Crux currently in a 1x setup that I plan to convert to 2x (I do 90% road with it).

Current setup has the rear brake hose and rear derailleur cable coming from the right lever, across the head tube, to feed into the left side of the down tube. Why does Specialized do this? It creates a massive arc of hose/cable that hits my knee when I'm out of the saddle.

For 2x, wouldn't it look cleaner (and rub head tube less) to have front derailleur go from left lever to left side of down tube, and rear brake/derailleur go from right lever to right side of down tube? Any reason not to do this? Obviously I will ensure enough length to allow for full turning range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I've wondered about this myself but have never had 'what it takes' to divert from the norm in this area. Lead on!
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

cerro

by cerro

less rubbing on the frame and more open angles so not as tight.

RNAV

by RNAV

cerro wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:00 pm
less rubbing on the frame and more open angles so not as tight.
I agree with you that the angles are better when crossing in front of the head tube. However, the primary reason why I'm considering not crossing in front of the head tube is specifically because the current setup (crossing in front of head tube) causes cable rub on the head tube. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

RNAV wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 am
I've got a 2018 Specialized Crux currently in a 1x setup that I plan to convert to 2x (I do 90% road with it).

Current setup has the rear brake hose and rear derailleur cable coming from the right lever, across the head tube, to feed into the left side of the down tube. Why does Specialized do this? It creates a massive arc of hose/cable that hits my knee when I'm out of the saddle.

For 2x, wouldn't it look cleaner (and rub head tube less) to have front derailleur go from left lever to left side of down tube, and rear brake/derailleur go from right lever to right side of down tube? Any reason not to do this? Obviously I will ensure enough length to allow for full turning range.
i run everything into the left port (di2) and use spiral wrap and heat shrink to bundle it together.