Touring/Gravel/Commuter

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

peraklo

by peraklo

So i would Like something in the "below 10kg" category for my size (192cm, 95kg), with mounts for fenders and panniers, kind of a do-it-all bike... Ideally steel, because I don't know should I trust aluminium at my weight plus travel load.

I'm in my 40's, so a bit less flexible. I plan on doing some brevets,so long run comfort is a must.

Can something like that be had for 2000-2500 euros?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

What kind of tyre clearance?

Would be tricky to hit under 10kg at that price.
Unless you built up a suitable frame/set with perhaps a bunch of secondhand lighterweight components.
Curve Grovel ti.

peraklo

by peraklo

Now i am riding Jamis Renegade Expat.
its a Reynolds 520 steel frame with carbon fork, 2 bottle cages and pedals push it to 12kg in size 61.

Tyre clearance is biggish, it can take up to 42mm 700c tyres, but i would probably be ok with 35-38mm. I commute and ride brevets on 28mm, but would like the option to slap on some Marathon Mondials in 35mm or some gravelies in 35-37mm (both with fenders).

As for price, maybe even stretch to 3.000€ if its a bargain.

I have looked at numerous sites and manufacturers, but i cant seem to find the one that has it all. Most of them, if in endurance or gravel category, are missing pannier mounts. Even though i am ok with bikepacking, i still prefer to have the option to use panniers (at least for commutes).

I Like Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace, Spec Roubaix, Bianchi Infinito, cannondale synapse... but many of them are carbon, none of them have mounts for panniers.

I think that maybe Niner RLT 9 Steel would be something close to what i need, but the price is too high.

Maybe i should just get a bit lighter set of wheels, get a bit lighter around the waist and then just man-up and build up my legs to push the 2 extra kg of bicycle weight around. Looks like the cheapest option :)

ducman

by ducman

Niner steel sub 10kg, won't be cheap.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I've got a Fairlight Secan that i built up myself, it's 9.8kg with pedals and cages.
It'd meet all your criteria and if you're smart then it should come in budget as well.

There's no weight weenie parts on it, the groupset is mainly 105 with an Ultegra RX rear mech and a Miche Graff sub compact chainset. If you did go all weenie on it with a light 1x groupset, carbon wheels and finishing kit then around 9kg would be possible.

I love it, it's the perfect gravel bike for me and no slower than my friends on their lighter, carbon gravel steeds.

ooo

by ooo

€2559 Planet X Tempest SRAM Force 1 Titanium Gravel Bike
Approx Bike Weight (Medium) - 9.8kg
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXTEMV3 ... ravel-bike

€1919 Planet X London Road Titanium SRAM Rival 1 Bike
Approx Bike Weight (Medium) - 10.1kg
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLRTIR ... val-1-bike
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peraklo

by peraklo

Well well, Titanium is interesting indeed....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk