Schwalbe G-One R or Challenge Getaway for racing?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pkd87

by pkd87

I am looking for a gravel-race tire for a local gravel race. The race will be mostly on fire roads (mostly hard-pack, fine gravel, wide trails, a little bit sand, almost no asphalt). Tire width should be at least 38mm. I have tried the specialized pathfinder, but do not like the squared shape and the transition from the cente channel to the side knobs. I prefer a more supple tire. Also tried the Conti TerraSpeed. I like those on mixed terrain, but find them a lacking a bit of traction off road.

Now I am thinking of the Schwalbe G-One R (could perhas even fit the 45mm version) or the Challenge Getaway tire. Both look promising, IMO. Can anyone give feedback on one of those and if they are suited for the terrain? Has anyone even tried both? Other recommendations are also welcome of course.

Thanks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Any descents with the sandy bits? If not, you could probably even use a file-tread tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pkd87

by pkd87

Yes, there are a few sandy bits in there. However, the descents are rather long and fast, but not extremley steep (3~4%).

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Interested in this as well. These two are on my shortlist after lowsiding on gravel with my Vittoria Terreno Zeros that have almost no shoulder tread.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

renoracing

by renoracing

I've got a set of the Challenge Getaways on the way. I was running the Strada 36mm's earlier this year before the real gravel roads thawed out and was blown away by how great they felt... Like truly no slower than some 38mm GP5000's. In June I raced a 120 mile gravel race, with about 50/50 pavement and gravel, and as tempted as I was to stick with those, knowing the decisive last 20 miles were all on loose gravel, I wanted something with more grip. I went with the Terra Speeds and they were perfect for that course. Managed to finish second. Fast forward to last weekend's 90 mile gravel race(only 10 miles of pavement) which being fairly local, I knew would require more tire than that. After really coming up empty handed on a search for a similar weight and rolling resistance tire to the terra speed, but with more grip.... I turned to a 650b setup. I went with the Racing Ralphs in a 27.5"x2.1", with the older Pacestar compound, which rates as one of the lowest rolling resistance tires they've tested. It was perfect for that course. If there was any penalty of the few watts or grams, it was lost on me, but what wasn't lost on me was the minutes I was putting into people on the descents.... third place.

So all this to say, with my eyes on a 400 mile gravel/bikepacking race this fall, I'm trying to find just the right tire and my first inclination led me to the Getaway. It's got the volume(sounds like 42mm should be do-able on 21mm internal rims), the traction, and I'm hoping the fast rolling characteristics that the other handmade Challenge tires have. Not to mention it's one of the lightest 40+mm tires out there that offers any protection. My other choice was going to be the Pirelli Cinturato Hard in 45mm, which would've been half the price, but I'm thinking the Getaways might be a special tire.

boots2000

by boots2000

Challenge Getaway is a fast tire with decent off-road traction.
But they are as fragile as can be- I flatted my rear within the 1st couple rides- I patched it at home, but the patch bulged.
Tread started to separate pretty immediately as well.

Other bad is when you do flat. The Challenge tires revert back to their flattened shape as they are packaged. This makes it very difficult to remove from the rim, and even harder to reseat and boot up (on the road). So you will have a lengthy repair if you do flat.

You need to weigh all this into the equation of "Is the the best event tire for me".

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

boots2000 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
But they are as fragile as can be- I flatted my rear within the 1st couple rides- I patched it at home, but the patch bulged.

Other bad is when you do flat. The Challenge tires revert back to their flattened shape as they are packaged. This makes it very difficult to remove from the rim, and even harder to reseat and boot up (on the road). So you will have a lengthy repair if you do flat.

You need to weigh all this into the equation of "Is the the best event tire for me".
No bueno. This wouldn't be a good situation in a race. Also, they are far too pricey to be so fragile.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Visqu

by Visqu

boots2000 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm

How did you flat?
The sidewalls are fragile but not paper, otherwise I feel the HTLR casing is pretty resistant to punctures. Just recently completed a 550km bikepacking tour where me and my friend were running 36c Strada Biancas, rode everything from asphalt, fine sand, rooted trails to rough rocks the size of a baby's fist and they stood up fine. This was actually the second tour with the same set of tires for the both of us.

My friend did flat once but that was due to him taking a rather speedy dive in a fast corner with loose gravel and adverse camber. The sidewall got a leaking rash from the crash. We just put in a tube, no issues with that and difficulty level normal. Having said that, I realize it might be difficult to reseat any tubeless tire without a tube if it falls off the shelf, but that's what CO2 is for.

Anyway, for about a year now I've ridden 36c Strada Biancas, 36c Gravel Grinders and now 40c Getaways, all HTLR, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. I also rode out one pair of Conti Terra Speed 40c in between. So I'll just comment shortly on those. Very hard to gauge how fast these are, all feel fast. Contis don't feel very nice to ride, GG is a bit edgy when cornering and I prefer the Getaway with its rounder tread, at least on harder surfaces. Although, if GG were to be offered in 40c, I'd probably get that for my local rides and the new Bianca 40c for loaded trips, but for the near future I'll just use the Getaway for everything. Oh and Terra Speed is the loudest of these tires, easiest installation though.

Disclaimer, I don't race but I do spirited rides, loaded or not.

Visqu

by Visqu

As for size, I find all HTLR pretty true to size, just measured the Getaway as ~41mm on rims with 23mm inner width.

emotive

by emotive

Visqu wrote:As for size, I find all HTLR pretty true to size, just measured the Getaway as ~41mm on rims with 23mm inner width.
I emailed Challenge regarding their printed sizes, the Getaway and the Strada Bianca Pro 30,33, and 36mm were sized on a 22mm rim, so should be very close on a 23mm rim, and run slightly large on a 25mm rim.

pkd87

by pkd87

Has anyone tried the Schwalbe G-One R?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pkd87 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 am

There’s a post in another thread showing they’re really fast on a smooth drum. Based on the tread pattern and depth, they’re clearly meant for mixed surface rides, maybe a smidge more dirt oriented than Continental Terra Speeds.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

pkd87 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 am
These are just going to roll like the old g-One Allaround / Bite OneStar as they don't have the newer 100kg rated e-bike casing/rubber. Probably won't handle mud as well as the bite. Will roll well, but won't conrer well on loose (like the Allaround, terra speed, GK, etc). The tighter, deeper knobs make it probably more durable on sharp rocks (DK200 / Unbound Kansas use)

pkd87

by pkd87

Thanks, helpful info!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com