Schwalbe G-One R or Challenge Getaway for racing?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pkd87

by pkd87

I finally bought the G-One R in (45 width) and did some loops on them. I really like the width. Had TerraSpeeds in width 40 before and the Schwalbe´s seem much wider (Contis measured 39 on my rim, Schwalbe 44). Offroad, this change in width is like night and day for me, really makes a positive difference. I like the grip of the Schwalbes and the RR also seems good (of course very subjective feeling). Definitely not the best for muddy conditions, but for everything else they seem very good. On the road, the Contis feel quicker and more agile, but still the Schwalbes do not feel slow.

What I like most about them is the very smooth transition from middle center to outer knobs. Actually you cannot feel the transition. This is a personal thing, but I like this way more than a hard and sudden change in tread (like for example the Specialized Pathfinders have).

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Here's my initial review video of the Challenge tires. Nothing I haven't said already in here though.

https://youtu.be/5KQuIywS8Gs
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Loukas

by Loukas

any experience with puncture resistance on the G-One R?

kervelo

by kervelo

No personal experience, but the Rennradnews test results were good:

The outstanding puncture protection is one of the strengths of the Schwalbe G-One R. No other gravel all-round tire in the test offers as much resistance to foreign objects as the race tire. In this respect, it can also set itself apart from the internal competition from the G-One Bite. Especially on the side, the tire achieves top values in terms of protection against stitches and cuts. Although the Specialized Pathfinder reaps even more puncture protection points in the end, this is mainly due to the fact that it has to cover a longer way to break through.

Loukas

by Loukas

kervelo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:40 am
No personal experience, but the Rennradnews test results were good:

The outstanding puncture protection is one of the strengths of the Schwalbe G-One R. No other gravel all-round tire in the test offers as much resistance to foreign objects as the race tire. In this respect, it can also set itself apart from the internal competition from the G-One Bite. Especially on the side, the tire achieves top values in terms of protection against stitches and cuts. Although the Specialized Pathfinder reaps even more puncture protection points in the end, this is mainly due to the fact that it has to cover a longer way to break through.
Thanks, nice review!

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Just an update to the Challenge Getaway tires. I used them on the 111 mile BWR Kansas race on Sunday.

There was a lot of rocky single track, some mud and water crossings, off camber grass sections (CX course) and lots of gravel. Only time I had any slipping was on some of the steep gravel inclines when I was out of the saddle. No punctures either, despite the nasty rock sections of the course.

Also, I'll note that once the tires have been seated for a while, they're much easier to dismount and remount.

henau212

by henau212

Loukas wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:23 pm
any experience with puncture resistance on the G-One R?
I am running the G-One R since around 600km and had no puntcures at all (had the TerraSpeed and Gravel H before). Not that much, but had already several punctures with the TS/Gravel H during the same distance. Also rolling resistance is on par compared to the other two. So I am more on par with the rennrad news test. The BRR test was done with a tube and that makes a big difference. It is my favorite tire so far but I will wait for 2k km for the final verdict.

warthog101

by warthog101

Well the challenge getaway have been tested by bicycle rolling resistance too now.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... be-g-one-r

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:41 am
Well the challenge getaway have been tested by bicycle rolling resistance too now.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... be-g-one-r
Wow! 21.2w at 36psi places the Getaway Pro among the upper tier of gravel tires. On my initial ride review video, I mentioned how the supple feel felt much faster compared to my smooth tread Terreno Zero's. Glad to know it wasn't all placebo effect.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Realistically, I'd tip the Getaway to perform even better when not using a super slow butyl tube.
In my experience, non-vulcanized tires benefit more from being set up tubelessly/ using a latex inner, than vulcanized Tires.
The Schwalbe feel much stiffer in comparison.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

IF someone can direct me to a store in North America or even an online store in Europe that have the G One R tan in 40 in stock. I don't believe there is a store in North America who have them. I even called Schwalbe directly, and they could not give me a timeline when they will be getting more in stock.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

JMeinholdt wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:55 pm
Just an update to the Challenge Getaway tires. I used them on the 111 mile BWR Kansas race on Sunday.

There was a lot of rocky single track, some mud and water crossings, off camber grass sections (CX course) and lots of gravel. Only time I had any slipping was on some of the steep gravel inclines when I was out of the saddle. No punctures either, despite the nasty rock sections of the course.

Also, I'll note that once the tires have been seated for a while, they're much easier to dismount and remount.
Update. I can no longer recommend Getaway Pro tires for gravel racing, at least not for Unbound (Dirty Kanza). The tires failed me completely yesterday. Had to bail after 51 miles (100 mile event).

Front tire sliced after just 18 miles (was in the top ~50 or so at that point rolling 20+mph). Catastrophic failure. Deflated within about two seconds and nearly sent me over the bars trying to get off the road out of the fast bunch. Was able to toss my spare Tubolito in. Surprisingly, the Tubolito held strong the rest of the ride.

Rear tire sliced at around mile 48. Tried to plug it, add sealant and go. Leaked down slowly for a few miles then completely let go around mile 51. Tried to tube it, but my brand new butyl tube had a fast leak. Called it at mile 51.

They may be fast, they may be supple, but none of that matters if they fail. Sent an email to Challenge letting them know of the failures. Maybe they'll go back to the drawing board on their puncture protection.

I wasn't the only one with punctures and I wouldn't have been too upset if it were only one, but multiple slices like that is just unacceptable.

I'll probably go with the Schwalbe G-One R or new RS next.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

I do raise a wry smile when another gravel tyre is labelled as "our fastest ever tyre"......Fine, but it's a fat lot of good if it doesn't work. For me, a gravel tyre needs to be durable; and when it's wet, it needs to provide grip.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Wow, that sucks. I have now over 1000k on the Getaway through some rough stuff, and have never had anything like this happen.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Janboo

by Janboo

Tried to mount the Challenge Getaway on my DT Swiss CR1400 rims. Even with a lot of experience (I ride tubeless for years and a lot of tires I can mount even with bare hands) it was simply impossible. Broke 2 bead seating tools and had to cut the brand new tire from the rim in the end. Maybe on another rim, but no Challenge for me anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com