SRAM Rival AXS Mullet with GX Eagle AXS - any real world experience yet?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rexnebula

by rexnebula

I currently run mechanical GRX on my gravel bike, and was recently informed that the SRAM XX1 Eagle cassette and chain now come in a copper colorway that would complement the color scheme I'm going for on that bike. I don't really want to spend XX1 and Red level money on all components for this bike, so I was thinking about the Rival AXS shifters paired with an GX Eagle AXS rear derailleur. I would then pair it with the more expensive Eagle XX1 cassette and chain because I'm vain. It seems like a perfect budget setup, but I haven't seen any real world reviews of that combo. I'd keep the Cane Creek eeWings cranks I have and just switch to a 1x chainring up front. In total it seems like it would be weight neutral, if not beneficial going to the electronic 1x setup vs the mechanical 2x since I'm keeping the same crankset and not going with the heavy Rival crankset.

Does anybody have real world experience with the new Rival AXS paired with GX Eagle AXS in a mullet setup? Is it "good enough", or should I really look at the Force/X01 or Red/XX1 level components?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

No experience, but I suppose it should work fine, because it is sold as a bundle.

https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-Mullet-Rival-e ... p-52-Teeth

Edit: updated the link.

rexnebula

by rexnebula

Thanks, yeah that's awesome that it's an officially approved config from SRAM. Seems like a great budget way to do an electronic mullet setup.

Philippos

by Philippos

I have this mullet setup on my gravelbike. There is not a lot to say than that it just works great.
I use it with a 10-50 GX cassette. On a second set of wheels (with road tires), I use this config with a 11-39 Rotor cassette on a shimano body. Shifts flawless.