Long axle MTB pedals

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Richington

by Richington

I recently bought a pair of ultegra long axle pedals for my road setup and I loved them instantly. They fixed a lot of discomforts on the bike I'd been struggling with to fix in any other way.

Now I am looking to find something similar to replace my MTB pedals but am struggling.

It's for a CX bike if that matters, would prefer shimano but open to suggestions obviously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Crank Bros do/did LS versions of their pedals.

I assume you've already pushed the cleat as far left/right as it will go?

Something like this might help: https://www.bikefit.com/c-13-pedal-spac ... nders.aspx
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

rothwem

by rothwem

I'm fairly certain that the Shimano MTB pedals are already 55mm to the center of the cleat, similar to the +4mm ultegras.

You could also go with a GRX crank for a wider q-factor if you want.

ooo

by ooo

You can additionally increase axles by using pedal axle washers:
SRAM 11.6700.002.010, FSA MW040, Wheels Mfg 836572004630
'

viragevitesse

by viragevitesse

I too use longer spindle pedals, but I'm talking serious extra length. None of this 4mm nonsense. My feet are not parallel with each other. If I stand with my knees facing straight ahead in my natural stance, my feet are splaying outwards. That is, there is more distance between my toes than my heels. Have a look at your cranks and chain stays. Do they have rub marks? If I don't allow my feet to rotate the way that they naturally do, I will give myself serious knee issues and probably other detrimental alignment issues. So I need distance between my heel and the crank arm, so that I can turn the cleat a bit and still have clearance between my heel and the crank arm while comfortably pedalling. Just having a wider Q factor isn't the same thing. The only two options I have found are SQ Lab and Issi. Both are Shimano SPD compatible and have something like +12mm spindle lengths. Issi are a great pedal in general as they have all 3 sealed cartridge bearings and no bushings. Spin really well. I tried using pedal spacers initially that thread onto the end of your spindle to give it extra length but I broke these immediately and didn't have confidence in them. These complete pedals have been really reliable and as a bonus gives me some extra stance width which gives me more stability on off-road terrain.

Richington

by Richington

So I went and measured the spindle and indeed they are the same length as the long axle ultegras. Even though I was sure my cleats were correctly setup I doubled checked them. Of course they were set all the way in the wrong direction...

So thank you for your suggestions but the problem turned out to be incompetent home wrenching. Maybe someone with the same issue will find this on google and spare themselves the embarassment! :welcome:

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Yes: long axle SPD-SL is the same as normal axle SPD.
There is a short axle XTR SPD which is the same as SPD-SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com