Shimano GRX levers ST-RX810 - grippy rubber coating coming off

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Anyone else experience this issue? Been riding mechanical GRX for 5.000 km, the sticky rubber coating is starting to come off on the right lever (which I use much more often than left lever for shifting).

I kinda like the sticky rubber, since I mostly ride without gloves and it provides good grip.

Seems I just have to live with it, since Shimano warranty terms state
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/informat ... ranty.html :
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING:
[...]
5. Damage or deterioration to the surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product.
Disappointed by Shimano reg. the durability of this surface coating.

2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

I have had this issue with the hoods coming loose also. I have 1x so only use the right lever for shifting, but in my case, the hood is coming loose much worse on the left lever.

Also after ~5,000 km, very frustrating. I guess the rubber stretches maybe when I've bled the brakes?

I've just ordered a replacement pair of hoods, only $13 but the hassle is annoying. It makes the hoods position sort of uncomfortable and I find myself fiddling with it to get it back into place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Why do I suddenly remember the polymer coated wires from Shimano...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think that's an anodized underneath. Nothing is going to stick to the anodized material. It's literally sapphire, like your phone screen or watch glass.

You've got two options:
1) Peel all of it off and get used to it.
2) Peel all of it off and apply something that also won't stick. Maybe try clear https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11209- ... NN11G?th=1