Open U.P.(P.P.E.R.)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

trainergav

by trainergav

Hey all, just combed through a whole bunch of Open threads on this forum and some others and couldn't quite find the answers that I am looking for. My apologies if this has been previously discussed but I was wondering if anybody knows if the U.P. and/or U.P.P.E.R. is due for an update? I know that the UPPER is only a few years old but the UP is really not that different from the original. It seems like the end of May is when Open has released their last couple of models but Covid might have bunged that up a bit.

And secondly, are the Seattube lengths on the geometry chart accurate? I am assuming yes, although sometimes the charts are wrong on that one for some reason.

And lastly, for those who have ridden both, Open UP(PPER) or Cervelo Aspero?

Thanks!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The came out with open WIDE recently... so not so sure.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwerziou

by gwerziou

An update would be cool - maybe add a ML size, update the somewhat odd derailleur attachment...
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

markdjr

by markdjr

I would not anticipate an update to the UP/Upper. I know they have other models in the pipeline, I would expect an addition sooner than a revision.

trainergav

by trainergav

Thanks for the responses. I guess when you think about it the UP/UPPER are still super relevant in the gravel world which is a testiment to how ahead of it's time it was when it first came out.

Would anybody be able to give me a c-t seat tube measurement for a Small? Thanks!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

You are definitely not going wrong with it. I ride a WI.DE for almost 2 years now and my wife has a New UP for a few weeks now, and we love these bikes.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Packs

by Packs

My small UPPER is around 502mm from BB center to the top (where the seat collar fits over).

I believe they upgraded the UPPER carbon last year to something slightly better.

I've had mine 4 years and it's an amazing bike - replaced my road bike (flies along with Rene Herse Barlow Pass 700x38). Fast and capable off road too.

I also got a WI.DE and that's a trail killer with G-One Allround 2.25s (the OneStar compound). The back end feels more solid/compliant than the UPPER off road but it's still efficient on the road.

I can't see them releasing anything else in the gravel range just yet?
Maybe a WI.DE+ that accepts up to 2.8?! (rather than the current 2.4)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trainergav

by trainergav

Packs wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm
My small UPPER is around 502mm from BB center to the top (where the seat collar fits over).

I believe they upgraded the UPPER carbon last year to something slightly better.

I've had mine 4 years and it's an amazing bike - replaced my road bike (flies along with Rene Herse Barlow Pass 700x38). Fast and capable off road too.

I also got a WI.DE and that's a trail killer with G-One Allround 2.25s (the OneStar compound). The back end feels more solid/compliant than the UPPER off road but it's still efficient on the road.

I can't see them releasing anything else in the gravel range just yet?
Maybe a WI.DE+ that accepts up to 2.8?! (rather than the current 2.4)
Thanks Packs, much appreciated!