SRAM Force 11 Road with SRAM NX 11 rear derailer

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ukracer

by ukracer

Hi ,looking to build up my new bike with SRAM Hydro 11 STi's up front
Will they work ok with a Sram NX 11 clutch rear derailer ?
Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Probably not, you need Exact Actuation, but the NX is X-Actuation. You can modify it with a cable fin from a Rival/Force1 derailleur or a Ratio Technology one.

ukracer

by ukracer

Ok ,thanks I'll look into that

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Semi true. You can convert some mtb rear mechs to road actuation but I'm pretty sure it needs to be GX and upwards as the NX fin is riveted and not clipped to the mech frame.

I've converted a few GX mechs and it works well. They weight about the same as the road force cx1 equivalent.

rothwem

by rothwem

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 am
I've converted a few GX mechs and it works well. They weight about the same as the road force cx1 equivalent.
Is there any reason to use GX over a regular Force1/Rival1? Both have the same max cog of 42t

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Max cog size is also dictated by the length of the mech hanger. On my cervelo even a long cage cx1 couldn't accommodate a 40t but a GX could.

I happened to have the parts so figured I'd play around and see what happened. The clutch is also stronger on the mtb mech which can be helpful too.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You need to swap out the curved pulley on the RD. You might be able to find one on a broken RD. You also need an inline cable adjuster
http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/
http://27sj6her6k815gxseadabepw.wpengin ... _17361.jpg

https://ratiotechnology.com/wp-content/ ... juster.jpg

Marin

by Marin

You don't need to swap out the curved pulley, it's a nice feature that creates a much better cable path. All you need is a way to adjust cable tension somewhere. All my bikes have adjustable downtube stops, but you can add an inline one too.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Correct. But you'll probably need a new cable about 2 inches longer than the one you had on a road mech.
As I annoyingly found on my internal routed frame 😀 should have thought that though before I started.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

An exact actuation 10-speed RD such as an X5, X7, X9, GX will match the cable pull of the 11-speed road shifter. I have that exact combination running on a couple of gravel bikes.

ukracer

by ukracer

NickJHP wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 am
An exact actuation 10-speed RD such as an X5, X7, X9, GX will match the cable pull of the 11-speed road shifter. I have that exact combination running on a couple of gravel bikes.
Hi Nick

So i could use one of the 10 speed Rd's you mentioned with 11 speed Road shifter and still use all 11 gears on the back?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

ukracer wrote:
NickJHP wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 am
Hi Nick

So i could use one of the 10 speed Rd's you mentioned with 11 speed Road shifter and still use all 11 gears on the back?
That is correct.