2022 Trek Checkpoint

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Addict15

by Addict15

I did a quick spin on a size 56, didn´t feel stretched out at all. I normally have 390 reach with a 110 stem, so it must be incorrect indeed

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Thanks for the info mate
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

ViperFFM wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:55 pm
Just preordered the SL7. Comes with Force ETAP in Dark Aquatic / Carbon Smoke.
That's the one i saw. €5999 here in Belgium.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Reach and top-tube numbers can't be correct! Looked at the top tube lenght in 54 and was totally confused/"shocked" :D

Nplus1

by Nplus1

The frame geometry alone does seem odd, but it would appear that Trek has changed it because they have moved to a new gravel handlebar with a reach of 75 mm (compared to 93 mm for the previous generation). I estimate that this gives a near identical position between the two generations of Checkpoint, assuming all else equal such as stem length.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Checked with my vendor on Friday. Still not available on the US dealer system. I just told him to order me the highest spec Shimano bike, once it does become available (hopefully this week).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

sandbox wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:19 am
That geometry change is pretty significant- 1048 wheelbase and 407 reach for a 56. Short stems will be all the rage.

Looks cool though. The Force bike is listed at 8900g (~19lbs). The Satin/Smoke bike is a looker also.
I'd say they're moving this into the more adventure/offroad space (since they have the Domane in the race/allroad space), pushing the front out ~20mm for toe clearence for larger tires - like everyone else has been doing. You just run a 20mm shorter stem. With the longer rear, It looks like they moved the rear out to the longer setting on the adjustable rear. I think they want to be able to say the bike takes a 45/47c in every size they offer; I don't think they're going full 2.2in/54mm (current units take a 50c comfortably). This cleans up the communication to dealers and customers quite a bit.

On the rear stay, I've played with my adjustable rear stay. I don't think this (+10mm) would hurt the usability for road tire use. It moves the handling pivot point further behind you, but you'd have ride the bike back ot back before and after the adjust to notice. It makes a difference for low speed , single track handling, but not really above 10mph. The longer front end will be a compromise on paceline riding, as you can't get as close.

nickf

by nickf

I feel the current checkpoint is a really good balance but still a little sluggish feeling with 64mm trail. I was hoping trek would have built a aggressive race only checkpoint rsl, no rack mounts, no frills, just a lightweight snappy rig. I get it big brands want their equipment to attract a wide variety of users to try to meet everyone's needs. Selling my current checkpoint and hit up a builder to build me exactly what want this time around.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Where are you gravel "racing" that you want something less stable? There's absolutetly no advantage to having less trail except for proper road drafting. Also, they already make this bike...in three different forms! Crocket, Boone, Doman SLR Pro - https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek ... 5-2020-56/

nickf

by nickf

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Where are you gravel "racing" that you want something less stable? There's absolutetly no advantage to having less trail except for proper road drafting. Also, they already make this bike...in three different forms! Crocket, Boone, Doman SLR Pro - https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek ... 5-2020-56/
All the gravel events I have attended whether it's a race or not are typically close to 50/50 on-road/gravel. Lots of drafting going on. I also use my checkpoint whenever I travel as a dedicated road bike. So my use scenario is a little different.

I did have a Crocket for a number of years. BB to high, even more trail.

Domane is just too heavy.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Ive asked Bike24 about the geomety and they just deleted the listings
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Talked to my dealer, today, who spoke to the rep about the bike. The bike will be announced near the end of the month. Current orders WILL NOT be converted to the new bike. New bike orders won't hit the showrooms for 6-10 months, depending on spec.

volkl23

by volkl23

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 pm
Talked to my dealer, today, who spoke to the rep about the bike. The bike will be announced near the end of the month. Current orders WILL NOT be converted to the new bike. New bike orders won't hit the showrooms for 6-10 months, depending on spec.
Thanks for the info. Sucks that 2021 model orders will not be automatically converted. I have an SL7 that I ordered in April that is supposed to be here in September that I was hoping would be converted to a 2022 model. Guess I will be cancelling that to get the 2022. Also sucks that first bikes won't be available until late spring/ early summer.

Minirac

by Minirac

435mm chainstays?? No way. That is way to long. Even 425 feels to long.. No grip on uphill pavement, and out of balance with front end. Gravel by definition must be snappy handling, it evolved from road bike side of the things. 58mm trail is spot on.
I spoke to a lot of riders out there in the last 2 years and it seems ideal geometry for 56/L on 38-42C(~450g per tire) tubeless tires@ 25mm ID carbon(~1400g) rim is;
420CS
620FC
80BBdrop
58Trail

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

volkl23

by volkl23

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 pm
2022 models not hitting showrooms for 6-10 months seems really late if new models (different color schemes/groupsets/etc..) are normally released in the summer. That means there will be a very short period of time between when people will actually get the 2022 bikes before 2023 models are released. I'm not expecting much change for the 2023s since the 2022s were a major redesign, but at least I would expect new colors.

I guess they could always just keep selling the 2022s through 2023. I suppose that is a realistic scenerio.