2022 Trek Checkpoint

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mirco

by Mirco

The off-road handling of a typical cyclocross geometry with a long stem is very good, the problem is, people are are not able to train off-road handling and so the bike industry change geometries to compensate this lack of training.

boots2000

by boots2000

I just ordered an SLR frame- Apparently the frames are relatively available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

boots2000 wrote:I just ordered an SLR frame- Apparently the frames are relatively available.
Good to know. I reached out to my shop to find out, since the prospect of waiting until July isn’t particularly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Mirco wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:19 pm
The off-road handling of a typical cyclocross geometry with a long stem is very good, the problem is, people are are not able to train off-road handling and so the bike industry change geometries to compensate this lack of training.
They do this so you can put a bigger tire on front without hitting your toe. Shouldn't radically impact handling. Will impact your ability to draft on the road marginally.

Mattiboesc

by Mattiboesc

I was looking into a new 22 Checkpoint SL5 but got quite confused by the geometry and Trek sizing guide.

I am 189cm/6'2.4" with an inseam of 89cm/35" and the Trek size guide and also my LBS is saying that 61 should be the best fit.

At the moment Im using a Canyon Inflite AL in size L and a 2013 Specialized roubaix in size 58.
On neither bikes I have the feeling that the frame is small.

The size 61 Checkpoint seems very big compared to what ive been riding..
On both bikes I use some spacers for an increased stack but the increased (+30mm) reach is something that makes me wonder, especially since a gravel bike should be a bit slacker than a CX right?

Life would be so easy of there would be bikes available for a test ride instead of ordering blindley and hope for the best

jfranci3

by jfranci3

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/spec ... 022-61-cm/

Ignoring the handlebars, you should use a stem 25mm shorter than the one on your Roubaix (110mm?) the bars are probably reach, so start with a 90mm. You should also run 20mm less spacer on the stem.

Don't just set the saddle height by measure, as the middle droops and has different padding. Set the saddle distance from the bars at the back of the saddle, not the nose. Start there, then adjust.

The bike should be willing to measure your current bike and recommend the right stem as goodwill as part of the sale.

Mattiboesc

by Mattiboesc

Thanks for your insight, do you think that the 61 frame should be OK with the adjustments you mentioned?

Saddle height and position always has been a trial and error kind of thing.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Send a pic of your current setup. 61 is probably right based on your saddle height. Unless you have to do something to slam your current stem, 61 is the way to go.

eljamoquio

by eljamoquio

Anyone know how much a frameset weighs?

sandbox

by sandbox

So... Just got word my bike will (should) be here next week. 2022 Checkpoint SL7. Pretty excited to say the least. Has anyone actually ridden one yet? Im on a Specialized Crux now (2018). Excite to see the differences. I had a SL6 Checkpoint from the original release. Fingers crossed.

Would love to hear anyones impressions of the new model.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I just called my shop and ordered an SLR frameset. Prices are going up, soon, so get those orders in!

Addict15

by Addict15

sandbox wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:07 pm
So... Just got word my bike will (should) be here next week. 2022 Checkpoint SL7. Pretty excited to say the least. Has anyone actually ridden one yet? Im on a Specialized Crux now (2018). Excite to see the differences. I had a SL6 Checkpoint from the original release. Fingers crossed.

Would love to hear anyones impressions of the new model.
Pretty limited ride experience, but I rode on a sl5 a month ago for a bit when it was in the bikeshop where I work. Felt very stable but still quite fast. The design is also really nice, if I was in the market for a gravel bike right now, I'd get this one :beerchug:

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I have ordered an sl6 etap, eta 31 january 2023. Just 450 days shy of a new bike day.
From year to year they often change the colors. I just hope the new color will be something I like.

niklasp

by niklasp

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:20 pm
I just called my shop and ordered an SLR frameset. Prices are going up, soon, so get those orders in!

Arent they always? Its a part of their sales model also. "Buy now! theres not many frames to buy (because the expensive frames is a small part of the brands market), so better be quick! We can call it blabla edition if that will make up your mind faster". :D

How much will the prices rise, why and when?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_pricing This is a thing U S and A (Borat reference) is pretty good at.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

niklasp wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:42 pm
How much will the prices rise, why and when?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_pricing This is a thing U S and A (Borat reference) is pretty good at.
Here in Europe all prices for bikes +2000 euro went up by 100 euro, that happened last friday.
They say because shipping costs are 600% higher compared to the pre-corona era.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com