New Cannondale Gravel/Cyclocross?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ricerocket

by ricerocket

oldmac wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:32 am

May be the crank axle is longer than the normal SRAM crankset, there is A marking on the axle. Just like the SRAM crankset on Cannondale MTB bikes.
Yes indeed, the axle is longer on the PF30A-83, which makes it incompatible w/ the available Rival AXS Quarqs.

The beauty of the Hollowgrams is they are completely modular, Cannondale will sell you whatever spindle you need to get the bike working on nearly any bike, which means you can have a powermeter on nearly every bike independent of your pedal system.

That said, I did however overlook the fact that AXS runs it's own chain, not sure what's a good option. The spiderings seem to work great w/ 12 speed Shimano, I haven't delved into AXS compatibility.

jrod88

by jrod88

From what I've gathered, some of it from this site, AXS and Hollowgrams aren't really compatible. Aside from chainring/ chain compatibility, the main issue is the limit screw clearance. It's either too tight or makes contact. This is a bummer as I have a set of SISL2s I planned on trying to make work.

I finally got out on my second ride and rode 8 miles of grade 2 gravel today. Very smooth and comfortable, more so at speed. I did have one issue that cut my ride short, a slipping seatpost. No matter how tight I screwed the bolt, it'd slip an inch in less than a 1/4 mile. Turns out the builder used regular grease rather than carbon assembly paste, and a lot of it. Now I have the PITA job of trying to remove a ton of polylube. I'm hoping paste will cure this as I've not had any issues with the wedge bolt system.
Allez Sprint
SS EVO SE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

jrod88 wrote:From what I've gathered, some of it from this site, AXS and Hollowgrams aren't really compatible. Aside from chainring/ chain compatibility, the main issue is the limit screw clearance. It's either too tight or makes contact. This is a bummer as I have a set of SISL2s I planned on trying to make work.

I finally got out on my second ride and rode 8 miles of grade 2 gravel today. Very smooth and comfortable, more so at speed. I did have one issue that cut my ride short, a slipping seatpost. No matter how tight I screwed the bolt, it'd slip an inch in less than a 1/4 mile. Turns out the builder used regular grease rather than carbon assembly paste, and a lot of it. Now I have the PITA job of trying to remove a ton of polylube. I'm hoping paste will cure this as I've not had any issues with the wedge bolt system.
jrod88, you can run a crank based power meter with AXS on a PF30-83 , it just kinda hard and you have to hack it together. SRAM built a special crank for the BB but they are SUPER DUPER hard to find.

Step 1, buy a carbon SRAM BB30 8-bolt crank. Step 2, buy a SRAM AXS Force/Red 4-bolt power meter. Step 3, buy a 125mm hollowgram spindle. Step 4, remove the spindle on the 8-bolt crank from the non-drive crank arm. (The bolt says “Do Not Remove” but you can do it with a long breaker bar and a dead blow hammer.) Step 5, reuse the bolt from the 8-bolt non-drive crank arm and install the 125mm spindle. Step 6, install crank, with PF30 BB, and AXS power meter.

So it’s difficult but doable with the right tools and parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricerocket

by ricerocket

jrod88 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:01 am
From what I've gathered, some of it from this site, AXS and Hollowgrams aren't really compatible. Aside from chainring/ chain compatibility, the main issue is the limit screw clearance. It's either too tight or makes contact. This is a bummer as I have a set of SISL2s I planned on trying to make work.

I posted about this in the road forum, thought I was the only one since the thread went silent. It was on a 12 year old road frame that probably does not fit any "modern" drivetrain spec, but that said, 12 speed Di2 works great (after I drilled some holes in it).

I guess I'm more heavily invested in Hollowgrams than SRAM at this point, now that I can share a powermeter across 3 separate bikes w/ 3 different BB standards.

dzl

by dzl

Relientk1202 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:05 am
jrod88 wrote:From what I've gathered, some of it from this site, AXS and Hollowgrams aren't really compatible. Aside from chainring/ chain compatibility, the main issue is the limit screw clearance. It's either too tight or makes contact. This is a bummer as I have a set of SISL2s I planned on trying to make work.

jrod88, you can run a crank based power meter with AXS on a PF30-83 , it just kinda hard and you have to hack it together. SRAM built a special crank for the BB but they are SUPER DUPER hard to find.

Step 1, buy a carbon SRAM BB30 8-bolt crank. Step 2, buy a SRAM AXS Force/Red 4-bolt power meter. Step 3, buy a 125mm hollowgram spindle. Step 4, remove the spindle on the 8-bolt crank from the non-drive crank arm. (The bolt says “Do Not Remove” but you can do it with a long breaker bar and a dead blow hammer.) Step 5, reuse the bolt from the 8-bolt non-drive crank arm and install the 125mm spindle. Step 6, install crank, with PF30 BB, and AXS power meter.

So it’s difficult but doable with the right tools and parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I emailed Cannondale directly and they did confirm that the RIVAL AXS crankset is custom built for Ai and that it will not accept the Rival power meter insert. Also, they confirmed that SRAM is not making a power meter version of the RIVAL AXS Ai crankset for them.

I think I may have figured out a fairly easy solution though:

The RIVAL AXS 1X crankset uses the same spider interface as Force/Red.
So you can mount the Force/Red AXS spider-based power meter (or Sigeyi's PM) to the the 1X drive-side crank.
Use Force/Red rings
Then just bolt that to the spindle/left crank arm that came with the bike.

I think the Ai offset is done completely in the spindle and that the mounting interface to the right side crank is the same across all versions.

FYI, you need the 1X version of the RIVAL AXS crank becase the 2X version has the spider integrated into the crankarm.

jrod88

by jrod88

My interest in Hollowgrams is due to weight savings, and a C'dale just needs Hollowgrams, not a PM. I have a force cassette on order and once fit is dialed, I'll be swapping out the house brand bars and stem. Not sure which direction I want to go with wheels at this time.
Allez Sprint
SS EVO SE

cgbae

by cgbae

TiCass wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:54 am
TwincamRob wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:14 am
Haven't seen anywhere but can you run full "integrated" cables on these like a regular super six?
Nope, external only.

What setup are you running on that crankset?
Spindle length, q-factor, chainline etc.?

TiCass

by TiCass

cgbae wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:26 pm
TiCass wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:54 am
TwincamRob wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:14 am
Haven't seen anywhere but can you run full "integrated" cables on these like a regular super six?
Nope, external only.

What setup are you running on that crankset?
Spindle length, q-factor, chainline etc.?
Gravel NGeco Gravel NGeco Easton w/ EC90 SL Cranks 1x Chainring Package
-- 104 Cannondale Topstone Carbon compatible

Garbaruk 1x chainrings - 44T

Bottom Bracket: BBInfinite PRESSFIT30 X 83MM FOR 30MM SPINDLE ROAD CRANK SETS

I had to play around with spacer on both side, but ultimately it worked perfectly!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I need to get a photo mine on here.
I've been riding it around a month and it's a great bike, although it's got a very different feel to my last SuperX (I had five of the 2011-2016 version and still have one) it's not necessarily better or faster. I still havent dont anything mega hardcore or any fast road rides, just easy trails. Waiting for my road wheels to arrive.

One think I do like is that is rides like the bike I thought the original Slate would be.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Love the bike!
Came off the Topstone Alu and the new EvoSE is much more forgiving.
Have done a race or two already since April. No slouch either.
120 hours with around 2800km on her currently.

Changes:
Shamals with Zipp 40mm tyres
SISL2 cranks with P2M power meter and Garbaruk 46 chainring
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Zipp stem
Ritchy alu bars.
8.2kg.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Yours looks great, mine's the CX build. I've gone up a 44 chainring.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:24 pm
Yours looks great, mine's the CX build. I've gone up a 44 chainring.
Good choice. 44 would have been a better bet for me......too late I suppose.
Now it is just sucking up and HTFU on the climbs. :lol:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Enjoying it so far but it doesn’t ride any better than the SuperX from two generations ago. The first disc one they ever did. Perhaps a little better on road but I don’t think it’s any better off road.
Still I’m happy I bought it.
RYET wheels from Ali Express are great.

forklifter

by forklifter

Does anyone have information on when Cannondale will renew the Supersix Evo SE? Perhaps based on the SSE4?

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I never really got the Supersix SE. Same weight and same geo than the admittably very good SuperX. But, only the tube shapes were actualized while a lot of old quirky tech like pressfit bb and Ai rear end were carried over. Also, the builds are terrible and the framset is nowhere to be found. First, those builds were super expensive, now they are on sale everywhere.
Maybe finally get rid of the wide bb and Ai and offer some nice build options and that thing would be a contender for an awesome racy bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com