New Cannondale Gravel/Cyclocross?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

I’ve been looking through the picks from Unbound Gravel over the last 2 days and noticed that Ted & Laura King are riding bikes I haven’t seen before. They appear to be carbon with dropped stays. Ted’s has an “X” on the fork so maybe its a new SuperX or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

Here is another pic of Laura’s bikeImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

It's not a SuperX. And compared to a Topstone, it's a racier and lighter gravel bike similar to a SuperSix Evo but with more tire clearance, routing is external at the front so the headtube is different without the routing cavity in front but a bigger 1.5" bottom headset bearing. It has the Ai asymetric rear and the wider PF83a BB like the SuperX to allow shorter chainstays with more tire clearance.

There has been a couple of mock-up pictures of it floating around since late 2020, this one here and another colorway were posted months ago in the SuperSix Evo thread:

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

Dan Gerous wrote:It's not a SuperX. And compared to a Topstone, it's a racier and lighter gravel bike similar to a SuperSix Evo but with more tire clearance, routing is external at the front so the headtube is different without the routing cavity in front but a bigger 1.5" bottom headset bearing. It has the Ai asymetric rear and the wider PF83a BB like the SuperX to allow shorter chainstays with more tire clearance.

There has been a couple of mock-up pictures of it floating around since late 2020, this one here and another colorway were posted months ago in the SuperSix Evo thread:

Thanks! I hadn’t see that. I could tell it wasn’t the current SuperX, but with the “X” on the fork I was hoping maybe the would have a new model coming out. I currently have a Topstone Carbon and I’d love something a little racier and obviously lighter!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

These are the first pictures of the bike in the wild though so could signal an imminent release. I'm interested to see what the geo is like.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Cycliste

by Cycliste

Looks like what I wanted from Cannondale way before they made the Topstone Carbon and lefty. They never made it and I went for a TCX. I dont know why they didn't start out with something like this. Also, this is a step towards the age of "gravel race" bikes. Which falls in line with other brands splitting their gravel bikes. Canyon Grail & Canyon Grizl for example.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Yeah I agree, the Topstone Carbon with a Lefty is great if your definition of gravel is riding off road on not too rough mountain bike trails, but it's not light and suspension means added maintenance on top of being waaaaay overkill for gravel roads.

sigma

by sigma

Think that is the new SS Evo SE or X which is made for races exactly like Unbound Gravel. Should be out later this year from what I have heard. Think they decided to go with the SE title to match the Scalpel SE in function etc...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

emotive

by emotive

sigma wrote:Think that is the new SS Evo SE or X which is made for races exactly like Unbound Gravel. Should be out later this year from what I have heard. Think they decided to go with the SE title to match the Scalpel SE in function etc...
The SE naming makes sense. I recall they released a Synapse SE with wider tyres back in 2019.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I've a Habit SE from 2016, I think they just add the designation to models that are a little more rugged (more travel, bigger tyres etc). Have seen SuperX, Scalpel, Habit and Synapse versions in the past.

I guess the difference here is there's a whole new frame, usually they just switch the gear attached to the frame
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

kervelo

by kervelo

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

The webshop leaks and UCI frame list have both SuperSix SE and CX models, so should be 2 "different" frames coming....

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

CarlosFerreiro wrote:The webshop leaks and UCI frame list have both SuperSix SE and CX models, so should be 2 "different" frames coming....
But when…. I think a lot of these companies (Cannondale, Trek, etc.) missed out on a great event to release these new frames. Unbound (aka Dirty Kanza) is by far the largest gravel event of the year.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Does the asymmetric rear end require wheels to be dished? I forget how Cannondale does this shit. They never disappoint when it comes to dumb decisions like that. If it weren't for their CAAD line I don't think I'd have ever owned one, even when I worked for a shop in their dealer network.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Yes, rear wheel needs to be dished specifically for Ai frames, it's a bit of a PITA if you want to swap wheels between bikes but otherwise, it's a very good idea, shorter chainstays, bigger tire clearance, stiffer rear wheel.

I wouldn't be suprised if Cannondale had planned to launch the bikes at Unbound Gravel but now that they always want to have bikes already available in shops the day they are launched instead of launching bikes that nobody can buy for months, the current global supply chain situation may have force them to wait...

One online shop I saw was claiming availability early September.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com