New Cannondale Gravel/Cyclocross?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

It's arrived. The frame I like, the builds I don't. Hoping a frameset only option comes along

Edit: Frameset is out too, time to find one in stock...

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/roa ... et-c11381u
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

fizzaz

by fizzaz

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:35 pm
Does the asymmetric rear end require wheels to be dished? I forget how Cannondale does this shit. They never disappoint when it comes to dumb decisions like that. If it weren't for their CAAD line I don't think I'd have ever owned one, even when I worked for a shop in their dealer network.
And the rear is the same stupid Ai offset with a dumb BB choice. I got sort of excited when I saw it, then read further to only be disappointed. If they were to release a Caad in similar fashion but without all the Cannondale nonsense, I would be happy to jump back over.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

fizzaz wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm
fizzaz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:35 pm
Does the asymmetric rear end require wheels to be dished? I forget how Cannondale does this shit. They never disappoint when it comes to dumb decisions like that. If it weren't for their CAAD line I don't think I'd have ever owned one, even when I worked for a shop in their dealer network.
And the rear is the same stupid Ai offset with a dumb BB choice. I got sort of excited when I saw it, then read further to only be disappointed. If they were to release a Caad in similar fashion but without all the Cannondale nonsense, I would be happy to jump back over.
Enh, I think the worry is overblown. Its just dishing over like 6mm, I'd be pretty surprised if your current wheelset couldn't be dished. Its like 1-1.5mm of spoke length difference. For the AI drivetrain, sram is already doing a "road wide" driveline, so its probably more common than you would think.

Personally, I think these are pretty awesome. I'm not sure how I'll like the "outfront" geometry, but I like their approach to gravel without a lot of knick knacks like the futureshock etc.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Most wheels can be dished for a Ai drivetrain in a few minutes, the only con is if you like to swap wheels back and forth between Ai bikes and non-Ai bikes, but to have that much tire clearance with a relatively tight/short rear end, I think it's worth the hassle, if you are one who does swap on a regular basis, yeah, maybe not the bike for you.

The Outfront geometry is great, it makes for a longer wheelbase so a more stable ride, especially on loose ground, it also cuts toe overlap, but the head angle and frok's trail mean it still steers pretty well and quick enough to be lively and fun.

One con of the Outfront geometry though is that in many cases, you need to adjust the fit, you can't just mirror the numbers off a more classic geometry. If you keep the same saddle setback and reach you would on a normal bike, your weight might be too far back on the rear tire and the front can feel a little too disconnected and traction on the front tire is not as good as the front wheel is further forward and the rear one is very close, so your center of gravity is more rearward than normal. Personally I would spec all the sizes with a 0 setback seatpost, not just the smallest size, and I would put 10-20mm longer stems then they normally spec on their road bikes although I'm not sure what stems come with each size of these new bikes. I already had to do that on the road SuperSix Evo as the sizes up to 54cm also have a smilar front geometry, just not as dramatic as the new SE and CX.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Can't you just run the smaller wheelset non-dished; off center? It probably shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

I’m considering this bike as I currently have a Topstone Carbon for my wife. The other bike I’ve been looking at is a 3T Exploro RaceMax. Considering we share wheelsets and I’m a weightweenie at heart this bike seems super interesting! I also like that this bike will clear 45s (wondering about the clearance with 2x).

Side note… I’ve adjusted the dish on like 4 rear wheels and I haven’t had any issues with it. Although if you were switching wheels often it would get annoying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Quick question, probably aimed at DanGerous, would I be able to put an eKar crank on this frame? I guess not?

BB standards continue to confuse the hell out of me
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Sockman

by Sockman

Any idea if the current 11s or new 12s Shimano will work with this "road wide" drive line? I would love to build this frame up with 11 or 12s ultegra di2 and 2 sets of wheels to have one proper do it all bike!

bet1216

by bet1216

Anybody talked a shop about when the bikes and/or frameset will be available? The shop that I have dealt with in the past indicates they may be in short supply in US (as of right now they aren't getting any allocation).

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

I just asked and was told that my shop hasn’t heard ANYTHING about it from their rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

Sockman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm
Any idea if the current 11s or new 12s Shimano will work with this "road wide" drive line? I would love to build this frame up with 11 or 12s ultegra di2 and 2 sets of wheels to have one proper do it all bike!
Road wide is different to Cannondale Ai.
Traditional road chainline is ~44mm. Made for hubs with OLD of 130mm (rim brakes).
Road wide chainline is ~47mm. Made for hubs with OLD of 135mm (disc brakes). Note that 142mm through axle places the cassette in the same position as OLD 135mm quick release.
Cannondale Road Ai chainline is ~50mm. This is to match with the cassette that is shifted 6mm outboard with the assymetricly dished rear wheel.

So SRAM actually make three versions of their Force Crank. Road, Road wide and Cannondale Ai, with three different chainlines.

For Shimano, your best option is to use the Cannondale Hollowgram crankset. Spiders are available for compact 5 bolt, Shimano 4 bolt, 4 bolt sub compact and of course there is the spidering option in 50/34 or 46/30.
Last edited by grover on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

grover

by grover

double post

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So based on Grover's post there is no way (currently) to run eKar on this frame until someone makes an eKar compatible ring for the hollowgram? Balls.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Some random googling turned up this niche Hirth joint spacer
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/hirth-5mm- ... ll.904307/

from this company
http://hellore.se/experimentalprototype/?page_id=41

Although i've not seen it on their page now and you'd need a 15mm version (?)
I guess after that all you need is some standard Campag PF30 BB cups, and probably a longer joining bolt for the cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sockman

by Sockman

grover wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:57 am
Sockman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm
Road wide is different to Cannondale Ai.
Traditional road chainline is ~44mm. Made for hubs with OLD of 130mm (rim brakes).
Road wide chainline is ~47mm. Made for hubs with OLD of 135mm (disc brakes). Note that 142mm through axle places the cassette in the same position as OLD 135mm quick release.
Cannondale Road Ai chainline is ~50mm. This is to match with the cassette that is shifted 6mm outboard with the assymetricly dished rear wheel.

So SRAM actually make three versions of their Force Crank. Road, Road wide and Cannondale Ai, with three different chainlines.

For Shimano, your best option is to use the Cannondale Hollowgram crankset. Spiders are available for compact 5 bolt, Shimano 4 bolt, 4 bolt sub compact and of course there is the spidering option in 50/34 or 46/30.
Thanks for the great explanaition. I wonder if the new Shimano will have an option of a longer spindle or offset chainrings?