Hub suggestions that allow preload adjustment?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

eajohnson

by eajohnson

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:25 am
Regarding White Ind. hubs, Peak Torque talked about it in one of his videos. It's a design that doesn't rely on finely machined inner tubes. He also talked about DT Swiss which relies on finely machined internal tolerances for precise bearing preloading. You can fast forward to 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENybY0ujfLE&t=296s
Thanks, he's saying the same things I'm saying basically but adds the information that the White t11 preload is adjustable but I can't see anything on White's web site that supports what he's saying. It comes down to the construction of the White hub inside the hub shell. If there is a spacer there between the bearing inner races then it doesn't work, if there is no spacer there then it does. I found another video of his https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJthHwrLDc where he shows a diagram he made that shows no sleeve/spacer between inner races in either the freewheel or the main hub, which means all the preloads would be equal amongst the four bearings and would be impacted by the outer adjustment. I'll ask White if his diagram is accurate, and whether the CLD is the same. I've used a White hub in my single speed and it's been pretty good.

eajohnson

by eajohnson

Thanks for all these replies so far I've got a lot more choices in front of me now (potentially depending on what Syntace and White tell me).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The problem you’re having doesn’t sound like you need a hub with preload. The hubs sound like they aren’t fit for purpose. Send them back fir a full refund & get either a set of wheels or rims, hubs & spokes from a reputable manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

eajohnson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:05 am
jlok wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 am
eajohnson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 am
OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:00 am
White Industries. http://www.whiteind.com/hubswi
Thanks, I've looked at White, just wasn't able to see any documentation that clearly indicates that the adjuster is able to actually adjust for preload on the main hub bearings. On a rear hub, simply being able to take up slack between the non drive side hub bearing and the outermost drive side freewheel bearing, doesn't necessarily mean anything with respect to the preload on the two main hub bearings. If you look at the White CLD axle spare part, the axle is smooth with no steps or shoulders that could laterally locate the inside main hub bearing inner race in order to allow that outer adjustment to directly control the preload.
You should see instructions here http://www.whiteind.com/instructions

The axle has one end fixed and the other end adjusted by a collar. When you install the wheel to the frame, the dropouts clamp on the axle. Play is taken out by the correct adjustment of the collar. cheers.
Yes I know but the collar takes the slack out of the entire stack of inner bearing races and spacers but preload is the relationship between the main bearing inner races and the main bearing outer races. The fact that the inner races are secure relative to the axle without any lateral play does not have any bearing (ha ha) on the amout of preload or clearance in that relationship between the inner races and outer races that are interference fit into the hub body.
[edit: see information below, _if_ there is no spacer between the inner races then it does work, these other hubs all have spacers or axle shoulders that do the same thing as spacers but maybe White does not, their documentation does not mention preload and they have no engineering diagrams so it's difficult to say. I've emailed them and asked.]
They have the instruction regarding the preload at Step 9 "Adjusting the hub". Not sure why you don't think it's preload adjustment. Anyway I'm not a dealer or profiting from WhiteInd hubs so whatever :)

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 281%29.pdf
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

eajohnson

by eajohnson

jlok wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 am
eajohnson wrote:
jlok wrote:
eajohnson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 am

Thanks, I've looked at White, just wasn't able to see any documentation that clearly indicates that the adjuster is able to actually adjust for preload on the main hub bearings. On a rear hub, simply being able to take up slack between the non drive side hub bearing and the outermost drive side freewheel bearing, doesn't necessarily mean anything with respect to the preload on the two main hub bearings. If you look at the White CLD axle spare part, the axle is smooth with no steps or shoulders that could laterally locate the inside main hub bearing inner race in order to allow that outer adjustment to directly control the preload.

The axle has one end fixed and the other end adjusted by a collar. When you install the wheel to the frame, the dropouts clamp on the axle. Play is taken out by the correct adjustment of the collar. cheers.
Yes I know but the collar takes the slack out of the entire stack of inner bearing races and spacers but preload is the relationship between the main bearing inner races and the main bearing outer races. The fact that the inner races are secure relative to the axle without any lateral play does not have any bearing (ha ha) on the amout of preload or clearance in that relationship between the inner races and outer races that are interference fit into the hub body.
[edit: see information below, _if_ there is no spacer between the inner races then it does work, these other hubs all have spacers or axle shoulders that do the same thing as spacers but maybe White does not, their documentation does not mention preload and they have no engineering diagrams so it's difficult to say. I've emailed them and asked.]
They have the instruction regarding the preload at Step 9 "Adjusting the hub". Not sure why you don't think it's preload adjustment. Anyway I'm not a dealer or profiting from WhiteInd hubs so whatever :)

I've read the instructions. Whether or not that adjuster affects preload depends on the construction of the hub, if there is no spacer or lower bearing shoulders on the axle then it can/does and if there is a spacer then it cannot/doesn't. The Hunt hub also has such an adjustment (end cap is screw based and can be torqued) but because there is a spacer internal to the hub, torque cannot affect preload except to the extent that the spacer could be deformed given enough compression.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Carbon-Ti has preload adjustment, but after my last set, I don't know why I paid the premium. Every time I get a set of wheels with Bitex hubs I wonder why I ever paid for "more".

jfranci3

by jfranci3

In thinking about this, I don't understand how a reasonably tight grooved cartridge bearing would feel loose in a meaningful way. I've got ceramic bearings in a DT Swiss wheelset, and there is some obvious play/rattling relative to a steel bearing, but that's due to the light weight grease not dampening the unloaded balls. If you're going to just replace the hub/toss it, maybe put a bit of lightweight grease in there.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I think you can get Campy Shamal wheels with XDR.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

jlok

by jlok

eajohnson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:44 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 am
eajohnson wrote:
jlok wrote:

I've read the instructions. Whether or not that adjuster affects preload depends on the construction of the hub, if there is no spacer or lower bearing shoulders on the axle then it can/does and if there is a spacer then it cannot/doesn't. The Hunt hub also has such an adjustment (end cap is screw based and can be torqued) but because there is a spacer internal to the hub, torque cannot affect preload except to the extent that the spacer could be deformed given enough compression.
Ok, I trust you, you are a engineer (maybe :)

May a rear hub service video end this meaningful topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmSFr0_kPk

Lastly, I actually owned the CLD hubs (and been through the wrong XMR axle sent to me so I know how would it be when the preload failed). Have faith in your believe though :beerchug:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

eajohnson

by eajohnson

[/quote]

Ok, I trust you, you are a engineer (maybe :)

May a rear hub service video end this meaningful topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmSFr0_kPk

Lastly, I actually owned the CLD hubs (and been through the wrong XMR axle sent to me so I know how would it be when the preload failed). Have faith in your believe though :beerchug:
[/quote]

White got back to me and confirmed that there is no spacer and that the design of the CLD is the same, so White is definitely on the list of hubs that you can adjust preload on. Thanks :).

eajohnson

by eajohnson

Syntace also got back to me with a quality detailed answer, confirming that there is no internal sleeve between the bearings in their rear hub and that the microadjust does adjust bearing play. They advise that it's important with their hubs to adjust the play _after_ the wheel has been mounted/tightened in the frame and to repeat that again after 100km.
So Syntace on the list also.

zaykay

by zaykay

My vote goes for Erase hubs.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Go Chris King or get the Campy wheels. You can definiitely adjust preload on Campy hubs.Shamal and WTO series.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523