Recommendations for 11-speed 42-tooth cassette

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

So, today I realized the 11-36 cassette I usually have on the gravel bike isn't big enough for some of the routes in the high mountains. I still have an 11-42 Sram PG1130 that originally came with the bike but the thing weighs a ton.

I just did some research and the XG1150 seems the obvious next better option and is more than a 100g lighter (I would have to use that one with a spacer, right?). But are there any other acceptably lightweight options out there that would be compatible with my Rival 1x drive train, maybe from lesser known brands? Should be

- 11-speed
- 42-tooth (not too worried about the smallest cog, could be 11 or 12 I guess)
- Shimano-style freehub
- affordable (I guess I'd pay up to a 150 Euros or so which probably rules out any carbon/titanium models :))

Any recommendations that fit the requirements?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

CamW

by CamW

The XG1150 won't work unless you want to buy a new XD driver as well.

I have the same dillema as well. I'd like something similar to what you request as well. These are the closest options I have seen:
Shimano XTR 11/40 - 331g - 210 Euro
KCNC 11/42 - 380g - 124 Euro

Stock avaliability is also horrendous though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saldegracia

by saldegracia

CamW wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:10 am
The XG1150 won't work unless you want to buy a new XD driver as well.

I have the same dillema as well. I'd like something similar to what you request as well. These are the closest options I have seen:
Shimano XTR 11/40 - 331g - 210 Euro
KCNC 11/42 - 380g - 124 Euro

Stock avaliability is also horrendous though.
Ah, right, I thought I'd seen on some shop product page the XG1150 used a Shimano freehub but no, so that one's off the table. The KCNC could be an option...have you heard anything about shifting performance for that one?

I've also just seen this one: https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmx8 419g, not superlight but quite a bit lighter than the PG1130, seems to be around 70 Euros, so that could be a low-cost option for saving some weight.
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

saldegracia

by saldegracia

P.S. Do you have a link for the KCNC cassette? On their website I can only find a titanium cassette in that size...I assume that's not the one, or is it?

CamW

by CamW

KCNC is really odd. Their website never seems to match what retailers have. I have zero idea if it shifts very well.

https://r2-bike.com/KCNC-Cassette-11-sp ... 1-42-Teeth

kervelo

by kervelo

saldegracia wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:53 pm
- 11-speed
- 42-tooth (not too worried about the smallest cog, could be 11 or 12 I guess)
- Shimano-style freehub
- affordable (I guess I'd pay up to a 150 Euros or so which probably rules out any carbon/titanium models :))

Any recommendations that fit the requirements?
One option is the XG-1175 from Sram Force family. However, it is XD compatible, not Shimano.
https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-GX-Force-1-Kas ... -42-Zaehne

saldegracia

by saldegracia

kervelo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 pm

One option is the XG-1175 from Sram Force family. However, it is XD compatible, not Shimano.
https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-GX-Force-1-Kas ... -42-Zaehne
wow, that is really light...might start looking for an XD driver for my wheels...

saldegracia

by saldegracia

This looks really interesting: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10050019 ... hweb201603_

I have seen SROAD mentioned in this forum a few times...seems to be well-liked among weight-weenies, right?

saldegracia

by saldegracia

saldegracia wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:10 pm
This looks really interesting: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10050019 ... hweb201603_

I have seen SROAD mentioned in this forum a few times...seems to be well-liked among weight-weenies, right?
Actually found one of those for 70 Euros shipped on Aliexpress and thought it's worth the risk. I'll report back when I've received it and put a few miles on it :)

fourfa

by fourfa

Nothing bad to report about the 10-36 SROAD I've been running on my road wheels. Shifts great, very light, good 1-piece steel machining. I like it enough I ordered a pair of SROAD 11-40s for his/hers gravel wheels

saldegracia

by saldegracia

fourfa wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:47 pm
Nothing bad to report about the 10-36 SROAD I've been running on my road wheels. Shifts great, very light, good 1-piece steel machining. I like it enough I ordered a pair of SROAD 11-40s for his/hers gravel wheels
sounds promising! Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to getting this now, might look into putting SROAD cassettes onto some other bikes as well...would be nice if they had an 11-30 but looks like there's only an 11-32...

CamW

by CamW

Let me know how it goes! I came across those the other night and came back her to inform y'all but turns out I'm too slow. I'm quite interested in giving one a go as well.

markdjr

by markdjr

Garbaruk 11-46t is lighter/cheaper than the KCNC

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I have the SROAD 11-42 now but not tried it on the bike yet (out of action with some stupid stomach bug...). It looks nicely made though and is indeed very light. I'll report back after the first ride...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Finally got around to install the SROAD cassette and do a long ride. I think it's absolutely excellent. It's nicely made, out of one metal block, looks really nice and is just under 300g. And most importantly shifting is super-crips, I'd say better than on my Sram 11-36 but maybe that's just better adjustment after installing the new one. We'll have to see how it holds up long term but in any case, I think SROAD will be my go-to cassette brand for the foreseeable future.