SRAM vs Shimano hyd. brakes for gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jlok wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 am
Not sure why Shimano torque the 2mm hex that tight. It is a test of your tool's precision. I changed from Taiwanese to some Japanese and Germany tools and the hex never strip.
I learned that the hard way that I should not use ball end of my hex key on an unfamiliar hex screw. The head round right away and it need bigger torx head to turn it out with a lot of elbow grease and pray. That wasn't fun. Luckily, replacement cap was readily available cheaply (back in 2019).

Js2

by Js2

Most of my friends that ride MTB have Shimano brakes despite having SRAM drivetrain lol. I have been using GRX on gravel and XTR hydros on mtb with no problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tikka

by tikka

Have both GRX 800 series 2x setup and a Force AXS mullet setup on two different gravel bikes. Lever feel is different, but I wouldnt say the difference between braking capability overall is worth losing sleep over - both absolutely more than sufficient.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Js2 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm
Most of my friends that ride MTB have Shimano brakes despite having SRAM drivetrain lol. I have been using GRX on gravel and XTR hydros on mtb with no problems.
That's funny because modern Shimano brakes get torn apart on the mtb forums for their fluctuating bite point. Gold standard right now for trail riding are SRAM Guides and older Shmano SLX if you can find them.