New Canyon Gravel Bike: Canyon Grizl (2021)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

justRideIt

by justRideIt

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/canyon-launch-event/

Title in the video is Canyon Grizl.

Seems no double / hover bar like for Canyon Grail and no dropped seatstays.

Screenshot from Canyon website:

Screen capture from teaser video:
Last edited by justRideIt on Tue May 11, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

bespoke

by bespoke

Looks low end
When there is a woman in PR shot; and worse still she is smiling and having fun, this is pitched as a cheap lifestyle product

Aero jersey and grimacing in pain = nano tech carbon and wind tunnel tested....
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

henau212

by henau212

justRideIt wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:02 pm
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/canyon-launch-event/

Title in the video is Canyon Grizl.

Seems no double / hover bar like for Canyon Grail and no dropped seatstays.

Screenshot from Canyon website:

Screen capture from teaser video:
Pretty clear: Aluminium with the focus on Backpacking, that is a big market atm. Grail AL/CF suffer from their geometry an mounting options in that regard. So my guess:
- higher stack, more relaxed
- obviously more mounting option
- cheap/price sensitive market with a standard aluminium frame
- smooth welding (I guess they heard the feedback :D )

My guess is that there will be no carbon version. I would love them to launch an new version of the CF with more mouting options, a bigger tire clearanace and a better front solution than the hover bar..

usr

by usr

bespoke wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 pm
Looks low end
When there is a woman in PR shot; and worse still she is smiling and having fun, this is pitched as a cheap lifestyle product

Aero jersey and grimacing in pain = nano tech carbon and wind tunnel tested....
Oh, that's so embarrassingly true.

But maybe it's all wind tunnel nano tech and they were desperately looking for a way to keep something gravel themed #33 compliant? ;)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Oh how I'd hoped this was a new Grail but with a normal handlebar.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

saldegracia

by saldegracia

From what I am hearing it should be carbon, not aluminium, so could be a more bike-packing oriented alternative to the Grail CF, or possibly a straight successor (?)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Oh how I'd hoped this was a new Grail but with a normal handlebar.
Yeah, them sticking to that stupid bar is a head shaker. They would sell a bunch of that bike if not for the bar. I honestly think the bikepacking thing has run it's course like the "vanlife" thing and bikes like the Open UP and Cervelo that are strictly go fast gravel bikes is going to be the default pretty soon. That being said, I see people on gravel bikes doing 1.5hr afternoon rides with a full compliment of bags, frame, seat, etc. wtf?

henau212

by henau212

saldegracia wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm
From what I am hearing it should be carbon, not aluminium, so could be a more bike-packing oriented alternative to the Grail CF, or possibly a straight successor (?)
If that thing is CF, I would be really surprised. But the 'welding' is to smooth for Canyon, so it might be possible. Looks a little bit like they used the Roadlite CF for a start. Rest of the features is somewhere in the middle:
- But the cockpit is straight from the Grail AL, so on the cheap side and nothing special. That thing got almost no comfort at all
- seems to be GRX 810 (with ultegra discs)

I would love that to be CF, 8,x kg and somewhere around 3k for the GRX 810 version. Change the cockpit to something usable and you got a really good bike.

Are that dropped chainstays? I cannot really tell by the picture.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Seeing the junction "toptube/downtube" on the animated image where it says "win a gravel survival kit" it's CF for sure no ?

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I would say so, my source who claims it is CF should also be pretty reliable...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

usr

by usr

I'd also guess carbon. The low end is served well already with the Grail AL, but on the high end, the Grail CF isn't positioned well. The funnybar is mostly speaking to beginners/casuals who are looking for a fast bicycle but don't see themselves wearing lycra, but those tend to buy cheaper. Also, the long distance unsupported crowd who are the closest thing gravel has to sports idols just love clip-on aerobars. That's not the right market for one-piece cockpits. On top of that, carbon Grail have zero packing credibility because carbon just isn't the material where you strap heavy loads tho places the manufacturer didn't foresee. The new one seems to come with quite a few extra bidon sockets sprinkled here and there, that's how you do "carbon, but enabled for travel". Another detail is that the teaser video shows a 2x bike. Back when the Grail was introduced this would have passed as a simple default case, but now 1x has become so common for gravel that I read it as a target market indication. Where the grail was (unintentionally?) very much positioned as a "not a roadbike", I expect this to be much more inclusive of the roadbike idea. Just without all the restrictions. Kolbinger rode an Endurace, not a Grail and this might very well be inspired by that. "What would have been the perfect bike for her?"

henau212

by henau212

usr wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:02 pm
I'd also guess carbon. The low end is served well already with the Grail AL, but on the high end, the Grail CF isn't positioned well. The funnybar is mostly speaking to beginners/casuals who are looking for a fast bicycle but don't see themselves wearing lycra, but those tend to buy cheaper. Also, the long distance unsupported crowd who are the closest thing gravel has to sports idols just love clip-on aerobars. That's not the right market for one-piece cockpits. On top of that, carbon Grail have zero packing credibility because carbon just isn't the material where you strap heavy loads tho places the manufacturer didn't foresee. The new one seems to come with quite a few extra bidon sockets sprinkled here and there, that's how you do "carbon, but enabled for travel". Another detail is that the teaser video shows a 2x bike. Back when the Grail was introduced this would have passed as a simple default case, but now 1x has become so common for gravel that I read it as a target market indication. Where the grail was (unintentionally?) very much positioned as a "not a roadbike", I expect this to be much more inclusive of the roadbike idea. Just without all the restrictions. Kolbinger rode an Endurace, not a Grail and this might very well be inspired by that. "What would have been the perfect bike for her?"
Definately carbon, I checked ;) I guess you are onto something. The Rose Backroad is pretty successfull here in Germany, Canyon wants those customers back.. =) Either an AL version will follow or the Grail AL will get more mounts next revision. Question is, will the Grail CF be there next year?

2x is not surprising, most of the Grails are also 2x. And there will also be other versions than the GRX 810.

TTRV

by TTRV

Looks pretty good. Kind of like a mix between the Endurace and the Grail.
Lots of mounts for everything and big tire clearance (up to 50c)
Entry level at 2000€ for 9.8kg

https://www.canyon.com/en-fr/gravel-bik ... ure/grizl/

saldegracia

by saldegracia

It does look nice. If I hadn't bought my Fuji Jari Carbon last year, this one would be high up my list now. Very similar concept, lightweight carbon frame with lots of mounts, but the Canyon has a slightly more progressive geometry with a longer reach, looks really interesting.

It's not really a massive bargain, though. 2700 Euros for the GRX 1x with mediocre DT Swiss wheels...not terrible but not as tempting as Canyon used to be.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Ekar version looks interesting
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com