New Canyon Gravel Bike: Canyon Grizl (2021)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

henau212

by henau212

TTRV wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am

Looks pretty good. Kind of like a mix between the Endurace and the Grail.
Lots of mounts for everything and big tire clearance (up to 50c)
Entry level at 2000€ for 9.8kg

https://www.canyon.com/en-fr/gravel-bik ... ure/grizl/
Rode the SL8 today. Quite a nice bike. It is pretty agressive though. More Ultimate than Endurace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

The geo/tire clearance/weight is what I have been waiting for for years. I do still wonder if you can run it with a 650x2.1 or if the chain stays are shaped such that it won't fit. BB drop isn't so insane that pedal clearance would be an issue.

spartacus

by spartacus

""We’ve always been firm believers that if you create a bike to run both 700C tyres and wider 650B setups, then you’ve probably cut a corner somewhere when it comes to geometry" the press release argues."

F off canyon lmao

usr

by usr

henau212 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm
It is pretty agressive though. More Ultimate than Endurace.
That's quite clever actually: the Endurace is aimed at people trying to consolidate the race look with their geometry needs, but a "utility roadbike" like the Grizl isn't invested in that aesthetic anyways. In that context, huge spacer stacks and riser stems are a confident "I know what I want". And another part of the market for this bike are those who'd ride something like an Ultimate or an Aeroad unless doing an an unsupported and many of those would likely prefer to stay close to their usual geometry.

Some style critique regarding the full video ad: the WFH boreout vs ride freedom contrast could have been really nice if it was just the furry claws silently nudging her towards riding. But they forced that cheap "wow blast" in between which completely ruined it for me. They turned a great ad into a terrible ad.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

henau212 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm

Rode the SL8 today. Quite a nice bike. It is pretty agressive though. More Ultimate than Endurace.
Not sure, in terms of reach and stack is certainly pretty close to the Ultimate, at least in size XL which would be my size...

pretty much identical stack and 2cm longer reach but comes with a shorter stem...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

saldegracia

by saldegracia

sorry, wanted to say it's pretty close to the Endurace, not Ultimate in size XL
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

That's a cool bike, they had to get rid of that Grail Fiasco, they lost a lot of sales because of that. I just wish someone would come up with a more elegant way to mount stuff to the fork that those ugly ass zits or have a regular fork as an option. I will never bike pack and that would make a nice race bike.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

morganb wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm
The geo/tire clearance/weight is what I have been waiting for for years. I do still wonder if you can run it with a 650x2.1 or if the chain stays are shaped such that it won't fit. BB drop isn't so insane that pedal clearance would be an issue.
Similar Geo and tire clearance can be found on Open UP(PER), for years now.
It has a little less reach, but is generally delivered with a little longer stem.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

saldegracia

by saldegracia

it's also about 3x as expensive ;)

NordicSal

by NordicSal

saldegracia wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm
sorry, wanted to say it's pretty close to the Endurace, not Ultimate in size XL
I noticed the same, I am also riding an XL Endurace.

The Grizl temps me as I would love to have 40c tires on my Endurace, other than that I am perfectly happy with it.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Will it fit 140mm rotors?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

morganb

by morganb

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am
morganb wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm
Similar Geo and tire clearance can be found on Open UP(PER), for years now.
It has a little less reach, but is generally delivered with a little longer stem.
2cm less reach and a very slack STA. I ride my gravel bike mostly on short janky MTB trails that aren't worth taking my proper bike too so I want as long of reach as possible. I would prefer something even longer than the Canyon to be able to run a 70mm stem but this is as good as it's gotten so far, outside of bikes like the Hatchet which has a lot more stack and Nukeproof Digger which is likely pretty heavy. I have a custom bike that had built in 2017 because every gravel bike I rode felt overwhelmingly short and if I would do it again I would go even longer.

TLa

by TLa

rainerhq wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:44 pm
Will it fit 140mm rotors?
No, 160 or 180 only

Ricky59

by Ricky59

After 6 years with my Endurance bike (Cannondale Synable Hi-Mod Black Carbon) I decided to go for a Grizl CF Slx 8 Di2 even if my recent experience with Canyon was not that great... My Aerorad CF SLX 8 DISC Di2 is still "sleeping" in my garage for an updated handlebar (:-().

Since I wanted to go for a bikepacking tour (4-5 days and +/- 1.000 km) in France as soon as the situation will allow it, I decided to buy a Grizl the day it was announced as it was on stock something that's not so common currently... and it arived today! :-) I took the optional Apidura bags and the Aerorbars as well.

First trip today and very positive. The bike is very responsive and confortable. As it is a XS size it came with DT Swiss GRC1400 Spline 650b wheels, I really enjoyed the agility and the reactivity of this set up. The proposed developments are a bit "short" for me as I'm used to ride with a 52/36 and 11/28 but I trust that with a 11/28 cassette it will just be perfect. I found the bike really fast on tarmac with a good " push" from the wheels. I went on a typical 1.5 km Belgian paved road as well (My Cannondale doen't really like it) and the difference is spectacular. Very smooth compared to the Cannondale equiped with Vision Metron 40 SL and 28 mm Corsa Graphene 2. The tires are Schwalbe G-One Bite 45mm and so far so good.

I was also pleasantly surprised with its climbing capability. It's not a very light bike but it's still pretty fast and it feels very responsive when you push harder! I didn't like the saddle (Fizik Argo Terra X5) although, maybe because I love my Carbon Coco Design saddle...
Anyway, in a nutshel, very good bike and great value for the money as far as I'm concerned!
Canyon Aerorad SLX Di2 2021 - Canyon Grizl SLX Di2 - Canyon Precede:ON CF 9 - Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Dura Ace Di2

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Great write up, wish you many good times on it!! Post some pictures, please ! 😀
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com