New Canyon Gravel Bike: Canyon Grizl (2021)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

henau212

by henau212

Ricky59 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:52 pm
After 6 years with my Endurance bike (Cannondale Synable Hi-Mod Black Carbon) I decided to go for a Grizl CF Slx 8 Di2 even if my recent experience with Canyon was not that great... My Aerorad CF SLX 8 DISC Di2 is still "sleeping" in my garage for an updated handlebar (:-().

Since I wanted to go for a bikepacking tour (4-5 days and +/- 1.000 km) in France as soon as the situation will allow it, I decided to buy a Grizl the day it was announced as it was on stock something that's not so common currently... and it arived today! :-) I took the optional Apidura bags and the Aerorbars as well.

First trip today and very positive. The bike is very responsive and confortable. As it is a XS size it came with DT Swiss GRC1400 Spline 650b wheels, I really enjoyed the agility and the reactivity of this set up. The proposed developments are a bit "short" for me as I'm used to ride with a 52/36 and 11/28 but I trust that with a 11/28 cassette it will just be perfect. I found the bike really fast on tarmac with a good " push" from the wheels. I went on a typical 1.5 km Belgian paved road as well (My Cannondale doen't really like it) and the difference is spectacular. Very smooth compared to the Cannondale equiped with Vision Metron 40 SL and 28 mm Corsa Graphene 2. The tires are Schwalbe G-One Bite 45mm and so far so good.

I was also pleasantly surprised with its climbing capability. It's not a very light bike but it's still pretty fast and it feels very responsive when you push harder! I didn't like the saddle (Fizik Argo Terra X5) although, maybe because I love my Carbon Coco Design saddle...
Anyway, in a nutshel, very good bike and great value for the money as far as I'm concerned!
Yeah pictures please. Also planning on a SLX, but was undecided between Ekar and Di2 and then the stock was gone.. But planning on buying one with the next batch in July.

I really liked the X5 on a test ride with the bike. I also own an Argo R5 which I still cannot get used to. So I was kind of surprised about the X5.. which is a lot like the R5 ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wtneo

by wtneo

Back in stock!

Ricky59

by Ricky59

I'm not sure as this will work but since some people asked for images I'm giving it a try :wink:

Canyon Aerorad SLX Di2 2021 - Canyon Grizl SLX Di2 - Canyon Precede:ON CF 9 - Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Dura Ace Di2

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Additional input(s) as I've used my Grizl for more than 350 km so far (85% tarmac and 15% gravel):
-> I can confirm it's very comfortable and easy to ride. I did my first 125 km ride (> 1300m climb) with it and I enjoyed my Grizl a lot. Good climbing capabilities and very soft on difficult roads. I also really enjoyed the "riding noise" from the wheels and the tires (Ok it's not that important but as long it gives you a good feeling :-)....). The aero push is - as I mentionned already - very effective even at low speeds (25km/h). The only point of attention is for side winds as I found the bike more sensitive to it than my Aerorad with 62 mm wheels.
-> Very handy on gravel paths as well. I ended up during heavy rain in a muddy path and it was very stable and offered good traction.
-> I'm also changing my input for the saddle (Fizik X5) as I used it with my Rapha Team Pro bib and the feeling was MUCH better than with my old Assos. BTW it looks like there is no oval adapter yet for oval rails. To be validated with Canyon support.
-> On the side note, the Apidura tube bag went open during a very bumpy ride and I lost my gels and bars as a consequence. Ok it was very bumpy, but still not cool... Btw if you place the frame bag you won't be able (Size XS at least) to use your second bottle.
-> Very happy I choose the SHIMANO GRX - Gravel Crankset - 2x11-speed version as I used both a lot. It worked perfectly in all circumstances. Reliable, fast and very precise.

In a nutshell, overall very happy with my purchase!
Canyon Aerorad SLX Di2 2021 - Canyon Grizl SLX Di2 - Canyon Precede:ON CF 9 - Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Dura Ace Di2

morganb

by morganb

Ricky59 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 pm
Additional input(s) as I've used my Grizl for more than 350 km so far (85% tarmac and 15% gravel):
-> I can confirm it's very comfortable and easy to ride. I did my first 125 km ride (> 1300m climb) with it and I enjoyed my Grizl a lot. Good climbing capabilities and very soft on difficult roads. I also really enjoyed the "riding noise" from the wheels and the tires (Ok it's not that important but as long it gives you a good feeling :-)....). The aero push is - as I mentionned already - very effective even at low speeds (25km/h). The only point of attention is for side winds as I found the bike more sensitive to it than my Aerorad with 62 mm wheels.
-> Very handy on gravel paths as well. I ended up during heavy rain in a muddy path and it was very stable and offered good traction.
-> I'm also changing my input for the saddle (Fizik X5) as I used it with my Rapha Team Pro bib and the feeling was MUCH better than with my old Assos. BTW it looks like there is no oval adapter yet for oval rails. To be validated with Canyon support.
-> On the side note, the Apidura tube bag went open during a very bumpy ride and I lost my gels and bars as a consequence. Ok it was very bumpy, but still not cool... Btw if you place the frame bag you won't be able (Size XS at least) to use your second bottle.
-> Very happy I choose the SHIMANO GRX - Gravel Crankset - 2x11-speed version as I used both a lot. It worked perfectly in all circumstances. Reliable, fast and very precise.

You don't happen to have any 650B wheelsets laying around that you could check fitment on? I know they say the geo is for 700 only but unless the chainstays are shaped such that there is actually less tire clearance on 650, I would think you could still run them and nothing seems like they would throw off handling or usability (ie super low BB). Really considering the 2x GRX one when available.

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Hi Morgan, The Grizl in XS size is equiped with 650b wheels, so I can confirm it works perfectly well ;-)

henau212

by henau212

Ricky59 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 pm

Thank you for the pics and information :thumbup:

As for the seatpost: original part is Ergon CF3 Pro. There is also a head adapter for oval rails, but it is kind of hard/impossible to find atm (link is on German..):
https://www.ergonbike.com/de/product-de ... 80021&s=cf

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Only Fyi: I just received confirmation from Canyon Belgium that they have an adapter for oval rails saddles. The clamp has their reference: "138093" and costs 29,9€ including delivery charge.

Ricky59

by Ricky59

I just come back from a visit to the Canyon local Service Center because when removing my wheel at the back to clean the chain and the cassette, I felt a resistance in the derailleur and I had serious difficulties to pull my rear wheel axle out of the frame... When I tried to put my wheel it back into place, my rear derailleur was hanging "loose from the frame" :-(. Since I had a spare derailleur hanger, I tried to screw it back into place but without success... as I was not able to firmly secure the hanger in place... I contacted Canyon and they asked me to come along, which I did today. Conclusion: they had to "re-insert and re-glue" a small part into the frame where the screw of the hanger goes into... The repair was under warranty for no cost as they explain it shouldn't happen. Problem solved for now - at least - but I wanted to share my experience as it may help other owners. Other than this, I'm adding kilometers to my Grizl with the same joy, planning a trip of 5 days in the near future ;-)

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Ricky59 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:02 am
I just come back from a visit to the Canyon local Service Center because when removing my wheel at the back to clean the chain and the cassette, I felt a resistance in the derailleur and I had serious difficulties to pull my rear wheel axle out of the frame...
Are you running 2x11 GRX?

I've found it very hard to remove rear wheel on my Specialized Diverge with 2x11 GRX. From road groupsets I was used to put the gears into
- small ring front
- small cog rear.
Then rear wheel comes out very easily.

With GRX in above gears the rear wheel comes out very reluctantly.
With GRX 2x11 it is much easier when I put the rear derailler to the upper part of the cassette (2nd or 3rd largest sprocket).
Must have something to do with the different chainline on a gravel bike for wider tires, I guess.

Nevertheless, a rear derailleur falling off should really not happen.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Yes I'm using 2 x 11 GRX... Similar to yourself, removing a wheel from my road group sets (Ultegra & Dura Ace Di2) is piece of cake. Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try - the later, the better although 😉

saldegracia

by saldegracia

The GRX derailleurs come with a clutch (unlike the road ones). Make sure you disable it before removing the rear wheel, should make things much easier...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Indeed, a go reminder of the "RFM" principle :oops:

Ricky59

by Ricky59

Looks like there is not alot of activities here :-( So I'll give my input after a new test ride with my Grizl and my Campagnolo Bora WTO 45 wheels I bought for my Aerorad. Feedback: Wooaw, a real speed upgrade with a strong feeling of increased reponsivness and ability to climb. Light is good!! Not a single problem to install and use and a very nice feeling and speed increase. Top combo! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BZE

by BZE

Has anyone measured the stock HB0063 handlebar? Curious about reach, drop and weight.