Giant revolt advanced 0

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bigrace

by bigrace

Hi all. My name is Dale and I'm from the North East of England. Just got this bike 2 days ago and up to now I'm not really happy with it. Everything is fine apart from the drive train. Front derailleur especially noisy. There are only a couple of gears that are really noise free. Had it back to the shop and the basically said this is how it supposed to be... the front derailleur catching the chain and no trim on the smallest chain ring. I though this grx thing was supposed to be great. Any advise to improve this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance Image

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Krenovian

by Krenovian

Hi Dale and welcome to the forum. If you are willing to attempt to set the drive train up yourself I would recommend downloading the appropriate Shimano GRX manuals (the dealer manuals) and working through them step by step. You should really only be experiencing chain rub on the front derailleur in the more extreme cross chain situations. In either chainring there should be no excessive noise across most of the cogs on the cassette. In lew of doing it yourself I would suggest findings a different shop to check the setup for you. It most definitely should be quieter than what you are describing. Good luck!

PS You should have the ability to trim the front derailleur between two positions when on either chainring with the GRX810 shifters if they are setup correctly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

That's a good-looking bike!
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

bigrace

by bigrace

Been on a couple of hours this morning and followed all the set up details. Checked and double checked. It is slightly better than it was. Had to adjust cable tension. What I have noticed is if its given too much cable tension you gain a little low trim but loose the top trim

I bought a giant toughroad slr gx1 3 years ago and it's been a pleasure to own. Probably covered around 7000 miles and ive only replaced a snapped gear cable. Tiagra components.

This revolt was to replace that bike but I'm having second thoughts now. It's a lovely ride compared to the alloy frame of the toughroad but I can't get away with a noisy rubbing chain on a front derailleur

I don't like the set up of the frame mount plate thing eitherImageImage

bigrace

by bigrace

How important is it to have the end of the derailleur 1mm out of true with the chainring

Point

by Point

If it's rubbing it's poorly set-up and you should seek another bike shop for future mechanical issues.

The shimano pdf's and tech manuals as mentioned above by another poster and fairly comprehensive and quite literally hold your hand through the setup and maintenance of the derailleurs.

For a start, in one of your pictures you have the chain cross-chaining, not to teach you to suck egg's but you realise this has a high chance of creating noise/chainrub and premature wear?

In what gears are you getting chain rub?
- Small ring up front and which gear in the back?
- Big ring up front and which gears in the back?

Is the derailleur correctly alligned? Sometimes the derailleur mount bolt or band on mount can be loose and allow the front derailleur to twist, check this first. The outside edge of the derailleur in the biggest ring should hang just over the edge and run perpendicular with the chainring.

Often small adjustments to the low and high limiters will solve chain rub, simply by pushing the chain guard of the derailleur away eitherside from the chain.

This is of no fault of the bike so don't worry about that.

Another thing to consider is, you have a bit of 'leeway' in the shifters/derailleur movement in which you can 'ghost shift' the derailleur. It's essentially a micro adjustment up or down which slightly moves the front derailleur over allowing for more clearance on a higher or lower rear gear. Try half shifting up and down on the front derailleur when you hear rubbing, this may help.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

The 1mm overhang will help eliminate rubbing when in the highest rear cassette gear so if you don't have this space it could be why you are experiencing chain rubbing. Also, I would look to put a bit of a cable sleeve over the cable that is routed through the mech as it will be slightly smoother.

Like others have said, just to make sure you have not got unattainable expectations, what gears are you getting the rubbing in?

bigrace

by bigrace

I've tried and tried to get trim to work on both low and high chainrings but it just doesn't happen. When in L-trim and I half shift all it does is tweeks the cable tighter ready to move to T-trim.

bigrace

by bigrace

OK so I've had another attempt this morning.
From the smallest ring at front I can get first 7 gears without front mech rubbing then very slight on 8th
9,10 11 noisy

Largest ring on front 1st on rear is no go.
2nd gear very slight rub
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 OK
11, slight rub

It's the best I can get it for now
Any thoughts

Tabe

by Tabe

This same small front rubbing here too, sorted it out with fd outer-inner limiter screws. And voila, no noise! Rd was also set up tad tight in outer limiter, but same solution there and solved.

In my eye that chain overall lenght looks just a bit too short btw, Bigrace..

Got this same bike too about a month ago, just great. Well, handlebar needs to go, it's quite bad in every way, gonna be more traditional setup with minimal sweep, no flare, no flat top. Saddle is comfy but very heavy. Very nice painting and overall quality. And of course it's a superfast rocketship to ride eyeballs out. Very good wheels too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

bigrace wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:14 pm
OK so I've had another attempt this morning.
From the smallest ring at front I can get first 7 gears without front mech rubbing then very slight on 8th
9,10 11 noisy

Largest ring on front 1st on rear is no go.
2nd gear very slight rub
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 OK
11, slight rub

It's the best I can get it for now
Any thoughts

Firstly, you keep saying you're getting rubbing, but where is the rubbing?
Presumably on the front derailleur on the inner and outer parts of the guide?
If the trim isn't working, the shifter may not have enough tension through the cable, meaning the micro adjustment on the trim isn't actuating.

Secondly, you really can't expect big ring up front, 1st gear on back to not rub and you shouldn't even be in this gear anyway.
The same goes for small chainring and higher gears. Once you hit gear 7/8 you should be really considering shifting up on the front and down a few on the back to stop additional chain wear through cross chaining.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram