Campagnolo hydro and magura brakes on Stigmata

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

hey so i am trying to put 2x 12 speed campy SR on my 2017 stigmata. I know that i have to use an adaptor or a different set of brake calipers because the stigmata is post mount like most cyclocross bikes. Does anyone have recent experience with using the Magura MT8 SL calipers with campy 12 speed hydro? or should i look at trying to get an adaptor which would allow me to install the campy flat mount calipers on the bike? Issue there is i need to buy one more flat mount caliper and they're hard to come by on themselves and likely more expensive.

cheers

octav

by octav

You can use either Magura calipers Post mount (here you may have some issues with housing end/banjo); or some Hope RX4 mineral oil.
I don't see an issue also why you coldn't use even Shimano calipers as they use also mineral oil.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... sc-caliper

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

thanks for your help, how can i fit the campy hose into the magura brakes? do i need the specific magura banjo or can i use the bolts/olives from the ones with the campy calipers?

are there any photos of this connection?

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

gravelginger77 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:57 pm
thanks for your help, how can i fit the campy hose into the magura brakes? do i need the specific magura banjo or can i use the bolts/olives from the ones with the campy calipers?

I've recently been looking at this for my own build.

I'll likely go the Hope RX4 route because I like the bling anodized bits. I've read reviews that even though they have 4 pistons they don't have the same stopping power as the stock Campy. However I'll have mine on 180mm rotors so this might be moot.

You should just be able to use the standard hose that is already on the Campy shifters. I looked into cheaper replacements for Campy brake hose as it is made by Magura and there should be cheaper options out there. It seems that the banjo in the shifter body is slightly longer but it can be made to work. The caliper end is the exact same barb, olive, and nut that Magura use and I have used those several times because they are cheaper and easier to find than the Campy ones.

I don't know enough about how much oil the master cylinder pushes but apart from that I can't see why any other mineral oil brake wouldn't work. You will of course void Campy's warranty by doing that though.

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

JohnPeopleman wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 am
gravelginger77 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:57 pm

I've recently been looking at this for my own build.

I'll likely go the Hope RX4 route because I like the bling anodized bits. I've read reviews that even though they have 4 pistons they don't have the same stopping power as the stock Campy. However I'll have mine on 180mm rotors so this might be moot.

You should just be able to use the standard hose that is already on the Campy shifters. I looked into cheaper replacements for Campy brake hose as it is made by Magura and there should be cheaper options out there. It seems that the banjo in the shifter body is slightly longer but it can be made to work. The caliper end is the exact same barb, olive, and nut that Magura use and I have used those several times because they are cheaper and easier to find than the Campy ones.

I don't know enough about how much oil the master cylinder pushes but apart from that I can't see why any other mineral oil brake wouldn't work. You will of course void Campy's warranty by doing that though.
Yep I looked at the Hope but cant source any. I have ordered the Magura calipers and get the jagwire banjo kit for them. I think I will do the build in the next few weeks and hoping to take a photos once its all done. I have a few other parts planned which should make it an interesting project.