AXS Force 10-36 Cassette with Standard 12sp Chain?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

I'm new here so let me first say "Hi!"

I am working on a new gravel build and was going to make it a 1X mullet but I am really not a 1X fan for gravel - I know that is a sensitive subject but I am definitely building this bike 2X. I ride a lot of road to get to my gravel and this build is being designed for both.

I think the below list will work but I'm concerned about the AXS cassette and chain compatibility:
  • Easton 36/40 Chainrings
    AXS Force 10-36 Cassette
    KMC X12 Chain???
    SRAM X0 10 Speed Rear Derailleur
    SRAM Force 11 Speed Road Shifters with Ratio 12 Speed Upgrade Kit
I would like a 36 tooth cog in the rear for the tough days. I am not a big fan of the 11-36 spacing for my road rides but do like the 10-36 AXS. I have not purchased wheels yet so the driver is of no concern at this point.

I called Easton and their 2X chainrings are not flattop compatible so my first concern is running a standard 12 speed chain - like the KMC X12 - on the AXS cassette. I have heard there has been some success with this but hoping for additional feedback - anyone have any success or failure with this?

If the chain is indeed compatible I am thinking of installing the Ratio 12 speed upgrade kit and using a long cage 10 speed SRAM XO rear derailleur (with exact actuation) that I currently have. Ratio kit is here if anyone is interested. Black Water Cyclist on YouTube has had come success with this but that just one source, albeit a pretty good one...

Any feedback on what I have planned would be much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattMay

by MattMay

I’ll know soon enough: currently running Eagle AXS rear mech and 10-50 in the back paired with SRAM Force shifters on my gravel bike, but I literally never use the 42 and 50 in the back so I ordered a 10-36 cassette and new AXS medium cage rear mech. Hoping to keep the same Eagle 12-spd chain as it’s fairly new. Running a single 42 Easton crank in front.

Will probably move my Eagle stuff over to my mtb as it’s all mechanical now...the new battery protector cage gives me some confidence the battery won’t get knocked off and lost/damaged...was always a bit worried about the battery on mountain rides.

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

Yes Kilo, that's the Black Water Cyclist video I was talking about. I was just here looking for additional feedback if anyone else had any success or issues. But thank you!

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

MattMay wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 pm
I’ll know soon enough: currently running Eagle AXS rear mech and 10-50 in the back paired with SRAM Force shifters on my gravel bike, but I literally never use the 42 and 50 in the back so I ordered a 10-36 cassette and new AXS medium cage rear mech. Hoping to keep the same Eagle 12-spd chain as it’s fairly new. Running a single 42 Easton crank in front.
SWEET! I'd really be interested in your opinion on how it feels.

MattMay

by MattMay

Happy to report all works flawlessly and silently, just follow SRAM directions. 10-36 feels much better than 10-50.

Full 1x setup:
Force AXS 12-spd shifters
Easton ec90sl cranks, 172.5
Easton 40T narrow wide chain ring
SRAM Eagle xx1 12-spd chain
Force 10-36 cassette
Force AXS 12-spd derailleur, medium cage
Last edited by MattMay on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

Awesome! Thank you MattMay!

MattMay

by MattMay

Yep!

shiiiison

by shiiiison

MattMay wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm
Happy to report all works flawlessly and silently, just follow SRAM directions. 10-36 feels much better than 10-50.

Full 1x setup:
Force AXS 12-spd shifters
Easton ec90sl cranks, 172.5
Easton 40T narrow wide chain ring
SRAM Eagle xx1 12-spd chain
Force 10-36 cassette
Force AXS 12-spd derailleur, medium cage
How is the Eagle XX1 Chain working with the standard Force AXS RD?

MattMay

by MattMay

Perfectly. And a bit quieter and smoother (due to smaller cassette jumps I imagine) than the XX1/Eagle AXS combo. AXS rear mech is the medium cage, not standard small.

When I get a chance I’ll post a video.

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Thats great to hear! I have a Garbaruk that I dont want to use anymore but love my XX1 chains.

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

MattMay wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:42 pm
Perfectly. And a bit quieter and smoother (due to smaller cassette jumps I imagine) than the XX1/Eagle AXS combo...
MattyMay, is your 12sp XX1 Eagle chain standard or AXS?

MattMay

by MattMay

If you mean is it flat top, no. As far as I know there isn’t an Eagle xx1 flat top chain.

shiiiison

by shiiiison

FatbikeUSA wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:55 pm
MattMay wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:42 pm
Perfectly. And a bit quieter and smoother (due to smaller cassette jumps I imagine) than the XX1/Eagle AXS combo...
MattyMay, is your 12sp XX1 Eagle chain standard or AXS?
I can confirm that there is just one Eagle XX1 line of chains. I recently did the same with a standard Force AXS RD, paired with a 10-36 cassette, and the Eagle XX1 chain and it works perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FatbikeUSA

by FatbikeUSA

Great. Thank you MattyMay. I've seen XX1 AXS chains for sale online but they are not flattop, didn't know if there was something else different about these chains... I'm going non AXS.