Help with budget gravel build (sub 2k EURO)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cezinho

by cezinho

Hello all,

as you can see by registry date I am an "old" user of this forum.
Around 10 years ago I used to have a Road Bike (Tarmac) and a MTB (Flash),both of them pretty light.
Past 10 years with kids a bit older I am thinking to get back to biking owning no bike .

My idea is to have one bike only (we all know how difficult this will be ) and for that reason I think that Gravel will be a nice compromise. Around me there are nice roads and gravel roads too. My friding buddies have all sorts of bikes therefore, if i want only one bike, then I believe Gravel should be it. Road would be my second choice.

I havent realized till now that biking world is booming and this added to delivery challanges makes the used market very expense and new market almost impossible to get.

I had defined a target bugtet for my biuld of 2k EUR, since I aloways had nice bikes i am sure that i will some upgrades in the near future.
My strategy would be to buy a fairly nice frame (eventually alu) and buy other used components that i would buy as time goes by.

Knowng that i am size 56 (1.82 and 85cm inseam) and located in Europe what frame and compenents would you get to be below 2.000 EURO?

Many thanks for your support.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Gravel is fashionable in 2021 but cyclocross is less fashionable - could you start with a cyclocross bike, for a better price?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

cezinho

by cezinho

Well that's is something that crossed my mind, even to start with road for now until stabilization of prices

Miller

by Miller

I think there are plenty of frames around, and on that, you'd want decent tyre clearance and flat mount discs to be current. The issue for you may be in buying drivetrain components as that's where supply is tightest. I just had a quick scan of groupsets on Wiggle and they seem to be massively out of stock at the affordable end.

cezinho

by cezinho

Miller wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 am
I think there are plenty of frames around, and on that, you'd want decent tyre clearance and flat mount discs to be current. The issue for you may be in buying drivetrain components as that's where supply is tightest. I just had a quick scan of groupsets on Wiggle and they seem to be massively out of stock at the affordable end.
true to that. I have been eyeing today the cannondale Slate. at seems to be in the budget.

Aesch

by Aesch

Do you want to build yourself from scratch?

Any other ideas? 11speed? Etc?

Carbonda 696, g1800 wheels and a not too fancy groupset should work. Or something like an origine grax II?

jasperp

by jasperp

Hi fellow European,
A few months ago I built up a NS Bikes Rag+ gravel frame. It's a Polish downhill/bmx brand and this is their only drop bar offering.
I think they are the same company as Rondo (who are pretty well known in gravel I guess?)

The Rag+ frame is matt black, fit's quite big tires (27.5 by 50mm easily) and very affordable (699eur) so you would definitely be able to build it up with nice components. And never worry about putting a scratch on it.

The ride is great. Very agile (which would make sense since they do mtb), not super stiff, and it accelerates like crazy (very short wheelbase)
So far, I have no regrets.
Check em out if you are interested.
Kind regards,
JP from Antwerp, BEImage

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I can confirm good words about Rag+. A friend of mine, with a strong mtb background, is riding one of these for few years already and does not complain.
Carbonda 696 seems like a very good alternative if you want carbon.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Marin

by Marin

Carbonda or NS Bikes

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I'd look into the Carbonda frame as well. I have never ridden one but you read about it all the time. I believe one of the OnOne/Planet X bikes is actually the same frame. That could be an option if you prefer to order from within Europe and worry (less) about warranty and stuff like that. Some other brands sell it with their badge on as well.

If I were in your position I'd probably get mostly GRX 600 or SRAM Rival parts or similar but make a couple of upgrades in key areas. For example you can find previous gen SRAM Red full-carbon cranks at really good prices second hand. Buy yourself a new 1x chainring to go with it and you have a superlight chainset that saves several 100g over something more standard....
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Marin

by Marin

Vitus Substance is a Carbonda as well AFAIK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com