Alloy CX framesets

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt14

by Matt14

Looking at sorting out my CX bike... Currently on a Boardman CXR 8.9 but it's on the big side and therefore struggle to race with it especially when dismounting (I tend to push rather than shoulder the bike for this reason).

Options are:
Trek Crockett frameset (taking components off the Boardman and selling that as a rolling frameset).
Dolan Sporco (same plan as the Crockett but not sure on a carbon frame for fear of damage).
Kinesis CX Evo (same plan as above but not a fan on the bottle cage mounting positions or the fork routing).
Ribble CX AL (sell the Boardman as a complete bike)

Have I missed any and what's people's recommendations?

I'd also like to have something that is going to be fairly available longer term for the pit bike as I can't afford to buy the 2 at once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

CAADX?

Matt14

by Matt14

ohjinguh9 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 pm
CAADX?
I don't think they're particularly good value for money and having ridden one of my friend's CAADX's, I thought it felt like driving a bus. Also not a fan of the external cable routing... It's 2021 after all - the less cables on show the better.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Canyon Inflite AL...

wannabefast

by wannabefast

I have the 2020 Trek Crockett, bought frame only and built up, and have nothing bad to say about it. Handles great, decently light, good tire clearance. Just an all around good bike that is a great value.

Matt14

by Matt14

Raimundo wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:12 pm
Canyon Inflite AL...

All out of stock.

Matt14

by Matt14

wannabefast wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm
I have the 2020 Trek Crockett, bought frame only and built up, and have nothing bad to say about it. Handles great, decently light, good tire clearance. Just an all around good bike that is a great value.

That's what I think I'm leaning towards. It's the most expensive of the lot but it has the same geometry as a Boone and Si Richardson (GCN) has been a big fan and done the 3 peaks CX challenge on it.

The Ribble is one that no one in my circles knows anything about but could be a bargain.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

I have a feeling those out of stock INFLITE AL are aboard the "Ever Given", in the same container as the AEROAD seatposts... :lol:

Either way, the STEVENS VAPOR or the RIDLEY X-RIDE could be good options also...

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Matt14 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:51 pm
wannabefast wrote:

... and Si Richardson (GCN) has been a big fan and done the 3 peaks CX challenge on it.
I would not let that impact on your buying decision. If Si Richardson rode it in any video it's because that particular video was sponsored by Trek. I like GCN, I think it's great for cycling, but it's clear they won't touch anything unless they're paid for it, it's their business model (or at least an important part of it) :)
Last edited by saldegracia on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Raimundo

by Raimundo

+1

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Matt14 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:51 pm
wannabefast wrote:

That's what I think I'm leaning towards. It's the most expensive of the lot but it has the same geometry as a Boone and Si Richardson (GCN) has been a big fan and done the 3 peaks CX challenge on it.

The Ribble is one that no one in my circles knows anything about but could be a bargain.
Setting aside the technical detail; if the 3 Peaks are important to you, maybe it would be quite poetic to ride a bike that's from the other end of the river...?

Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

Fellrunner

by Fellrunner

Have you thought about a Giant TCX ? I’m more than happy with mine and it handled the Three Peaks.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I'm on my 6th or 7th (8th?) alluminium kinesis CX bike, most have done 3 or 4 seasons without complaint (usually 2 as main, 2 as second, then given away).

Current one i've only done half of one season on, then used it as a winter trainer. Again, not missed a beat.

Those that have stayed in original paint have been fine except for one about 9-10 years ago that started to peel off around the bottom bracket shell and corrode underneath, but that was after 3 years and probably 80-100 races and all the related cleaning and servicing, so it could well have been damaged.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com