Pirelli Cinturato Velo

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Hi all. Considering the Pirelli Cinturato Velo for a more road oriented tubeless setup on my gravel; is anybody out there who's using them? Thinking about size 26 that expands to 28. Thank you all.
P.S.
Great experiences with Pirelli 'till now: Pirelli Pzero Velo 28 with tubes and Pirelli Pzero Race TLR 28; two different road setups both brilliant....
Last edited by lightspeedylight on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singular

by Singular

I have a pair on order to come in shortly. My idea is the opposite of yours - using them to extend the range of uses for my road bike (especially from a puncture-proofing perspective) for winter, lighter gravel and training duties. Opting for 28s to be run tubeless, expecting them to be slightly wider on 18mm rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Singular wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:16 pm
I have a pair on order to come in shortly. My idea is the opposite of yours - using them to extend the range of uses for my road bike (especially from a puncture-proofing perspective) for winter, lighter gravel and training duties. Opting for 28s to be run tubeless, expecting them to be slightly wider on 18mm rims.
Hello. My summer gravel road setup is to use the bike on dirty/ruined tarmac; for gravel advntures I have Spec Pathfinder 42 TL on 25mm rims...unstoppable thanks...the Cinturato Velo just in case, some summer detour from tarma to light gravel. Puncture resistance is what I am looking for, then. Choosing 26 because on 21 inner width rims they go up to 28. I think that on 18 mm inner width they will stay @28.

Singular

by Singular

lightspeedylight wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 pm
Singular wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:16 pm
Hello. My summer gravel road setup is to use the bike on dirty/ruined tarmac; for gravel advntures I have Spec Pathfinder 42 TL on 25mm rims...unstoppable thanks...the Cinturato Velo just in case, some summer detour from tarma to light gravel. Puncture resistance is what I am looking for, then. Choosing 26 because on 21 inner width rims they go up to 28. I think that on 18 mm inner width they will stay @28.
I'm not sure that 21mm internals are in line with Pirelli's recommendation - I think their maximum is 20mm. I'm not sure if/what difference it makes, except from a liability perspective.

Looking forward to receiving my pair. Will be very interesting to see the actual size!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I ran the 25/28 set up for a couple of years and was bomb proof! Now on 35mm which is probably too big but great fun and I don't have to worry about it
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

anzi

by anzi

I have 26mm Cinturato Velos on Mavic Open Pro UST rims, they measure about 28mm by memory. Easy tubeless set up and trouble free riding on varied surfaces. They're of of course slightly slower than some racier tyres and you can feel that the tread is thick, but that is a compromise you have to make for better puncture protection.

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

My mechanic is suggesting Pzero Race TL 28mm also for my gravel on road setup (pro37 bont with 21mm inner rim) ... I have never taken them on light gravel with my road bike but he said that they are amazing even on light gravel... He has never been wrong with his advice...

anzi

by anzi

I think I might also go for the P Zero Race TL when I have to replace my Cinturatos. I ride these on my brakeless fixed gear so a slightly thicker tread is a must, bicyclerollingresistance.com recommends P Zeros: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-race-tlr

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

anzi wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 am
I think I might also go for the P Zero Race TL when I have to replace my Cinturatos. I ride these on my brakeless fixed gear so a slightly thicker tread is a must, bicyclerollingresistance.com recommends P Zeros: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-race-tlr
Any regrets with Cinturato?

anzi

by anzi

No regrets. This is my most performance oriented bike so a slightly faster tyre would just be more appropriate.

Singular

by Singular

As an update - received the 28s. A quick test on 18mm rims (with tubes) gives a 29mm wide tire before any stretching at the minimum pressure (72 psi, which is kinda high...).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Singular

by Singular

...and now, the 28s are 30mm wide at the minimum tubeless pressure (58 psi). Still the same rims (DT R460, 18mm internal).