Santa Cruz weight does not stack up for Stigmata

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

visionset

by visionset

I'm considering building up a light gravel bike, probably based around a Stigmata frameset.  I wanted to make sure the on-paper would be close to reality, so I took my Cervelo and went through the components using the best online info I could get as to component weights. To my amazement, it came out bang on the actual weight.
So when I do the same with the Stigmata GRX spec sheet why does it come out so very far from the official figure?  
Stigmata spec sheet is on the left with what I've looked up as the weights, My Cervelo on the right using the same method, only difference is I have weighed my Cervelo and the Stigmata I can only go off the publsihed weight. Now I've adjusted the weights such as the wheelset and other items to be as generous as possible, but it is still a good chunk out.
I really need to see these match in order to spec my own build and avoid disappoinment.

Any clues anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

visionset

by visionset

So the wheels as spec'd prob 1600g as per weights above with 56 alu nipples.
Do I add (as I have) thru axles or are they inccluded in typical wheelset published weights?
The framset is 1600g published but does that include the clamp and headset it will come with?
Are the hose and cable weights approx right? I'm sure I've overestimated.

hannawald

by hannawald

You can more or less rely on Shimano claimed weights.
As for wheels, claimed weights are without thru axles and tape. You can't trust it, there may be up to 50g difference.
As for the frame, you can't trust anything:) weights are without hardware - headset, bb, seat clamp, bolts, derailleur holders, for a certain size of the frame and sometimes it is for unpainted frame. So it can be quite close to publish weight but it can be easily 200g difference. I don't know for Stigmata, try to find some unboxing video or maybe here somebody weighted it..

visionset

by visionset

Thanks for that, it helps

Samklee15

by Samklee15

My 56cm Stigmata frame (no hanger, seat clamp, or rubber chain stay guard) was 1178g and the uncut fork was 471g. Through in the frame accessories and you're easily 150g + over your frame estimate.

EvanT

by EvanT

I recently built up a Stigmata. The 54cm frame with the seat clamp and derailleur hanger was 1150g. The uncut fork was 487g. Fully built and ready to ride with an Ekar 1x13 groupset and Hed Belgium G Plus wheels (28h) on DT Swiss 240 hubs with 38mm Maxxis Rambler Exo tires was 8.8kg.

visionset

by visionset

Thanks, seems I can get it to stack up now, just not the way i'd hoped :-( Not going to be stretching to a Vielo Alto I think!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I have a long history with Santa Cruz and also with being a weight weenie so I hate to say it but that company has gotten HEAVY and no longer makes bikes for me. I know nothing about the gravel grinder category but I'd expect SC's model to be heavy but bullet proof, with a durable but 150+g paint job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com